• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

requirement gathering for User Interfaces

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,
while gathering requirement how can we capture the logic behind the radio button for user interfaces like forms report etc.

For example :
if you have 50 fields in one form and you need to select one radio button out of 5 radio button if the first radio button has selected then you need to populate the 10 and 20 th fields.

how can we capture the requirements and document it for the purpose of developer.

Any body have any sample template to capture this kind of situation, I struggle a lot for week, but cant find a solution.

Thanks in advance

Shaan

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Shaan
One way can be -whenever you select one radio button ,a javascript method should be called .In that method you can disable/hide all other fields except the required fields.
Now when you submit the form depending upon the radio button value you can validate your form.
[ October 03, 2008: Message edited by: raj malhotra ]

author
Mac OS X Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
In terms of capturing your requirements, you should probably look at Use Case diagrams or other UML modeling techniques.

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Use Case diagrams are not particularly good for this kind of documentation. And I don't know of anything else in UML that would sound appropriate for me.

At which stage of development are you? As a developer, I would probably prefer to get this requirement in the form of an executable Acceptance Test, but it might be too early to write such a thing if it isn't going to be implemented soon.

Martijn Verburg
author
Mac OS X Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Ilja Preuss:
Use Case diagrams are not particularly good for this kind of documentation. And I don't know of anything else in UML that would sound appropriate for me.

Ilja is quite right and my apologies for putting you wrong there. What you might find useful is a simple 2-d matrix (Spreadsheet) with the radio buttons listed down one side and the fields listed along the top, you can then fill in the squares of the fields that should be active when you select a particular radio button.

Shanmugam nagaraj
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks for response..

At which stage of development are you? As a developer, I would probably prefer to get this requirement in the form of an executable Acceptance Test, but it might be too early to write such a thing if it isn't going to be implemented soon.

My role is system analyst(new to this role...)

It is in analysis stage like gathering the information from user and documenting and finalizing a solution...

what is executable Acceptance Test ? do you have any sample to explain me better..

My template need to be as ready to code condition and it have to be finalized by user, i.e the template is need to cover all the scenario and confirmed by customer or users. I struggling to probe the right questions and also how to prepare the template like forms..reports letter etc...

Is there any url, document, material, etc. any thing.....to answer my questions

Shanmugam nagaraj
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Any body can help out this???

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

while gathering requirement how can we capture the logic behind the radio button for user interfaces like forms report etc.

how can we capture the requirements and document it for the purpose of developer.

A good option for capturing requirements is Use Case narratives.

A Use Case narrative is a textual explanation of a Use Case. It the text of the narrative, one can describe the logic behind the GUI / form report. Also, one can describe any other presentation/display requirement, such as a specific graphic has to be displayed.

Use Case narratives provide good documentation and are very helpful for developers. The key to writing good Use Case narratives is good spelling, good grammar and punctuation, and a clean writing style.

Good Luck!

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
you can take a look at decision tables to document these kind of rules.
see decision tables

kind regards

Lutz

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic