• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

configuring editplus

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi - I want to use EditPlus to write my java, compile and test in a browser, but I am unsure as to how to configure it. Does anyone have any familiarity with this? Can you help - please?? I need the specific arguments like is it $(FileName) etc.. I am working on a Windows2000 platform.

Thanks in advance..

Michelle

Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Moving this to the IDEs and Other Tools forum...

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Michelle,

First, you'll need to set an environment variable to point to your JDK install. Create the environment variable JAVA_HOME to point to the root of your install, i.e JAVA_HOME=C:\java\j2sdk1.4.2_04

Now, make sure you are running the latest version of Editplus (2.11); go to the tools menu and select "Configure user tools...".

Click "Group Name" and type "Java" then OK. Click "Add Tool>>", select "program", type "Compile" for the menu text. The command should be "%JAVA_HOME%\bin]javac.exe", and I use "-deprecation -classpath ./ $(FileName)" for the argument and "$(FileDir)" for the initial directory.

Check capture output and save open files. Compiler errors will appear in the pane below the editor. You can click on the error containing the line number to go to the offending line in the editor.

Now make a tool entry for "Run". It's a program tool; menu text is "Run"; command is "%JAVA_HOME%\bin\java.exe"; argument is "-classpath ./ $(FileNAmeNoExt)"; and initial directory is $(FileDir).

I usually have save open files and capture output selected. If you capture output, the programs output shows up in the pane below the editor. However, you can not provide data to your program from the keyboard if you capture the output. If your program requires keyboard input, uncheck capture output and the program will run in a command window.

I also set up a "Run GUI" program tool to run graphical programs. The command is "%JAVA_HOME%\bin\javaw.exe", argument is "-classpath ./ $(FileNameNoExt)" and initial directory is "$(FileDir). "Close window on exit" and "save open files are checked".

I also have a Javadoc command set up to javadoc all the source files. The command is "%JAVA_HOME%\bin\javadoc.exe", the argument is "-author -version *.java", initial directory is "$(FileDir)". Capture output and save open files are checked.

Finally, I have a show javadoc program tool. I'm using IE to display the files, so my command is "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE" (you will need to browse for your browser executable if you use something different or it is not in the standard spot). The argument is "file://$(FileDir)/index.html", and the initial directory is "$(FileDir)". In this case, capture output is not checked.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic