• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Questions regarding NetBeans book

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Adam,

First of all, a warm welcome

I had a few questions regarding your book - Pro NetBeans IDE 6 Rich Client Platform Edition.

- Is this book only for developing desktop applications? It covers no part of client-server architecture, or database connectivity?

- Can this book be used by a novice java user? Does this book assume knowledge of any third party libraries?

- What GUI toolkit does this book use? While we are at it, which is the better GUI in your opinion - Swing, SWT, or other?

Thanks a lot!
I hope you enjoy your stay here

Ranch Hand
Mac OS X Hibernate Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hello Rohan,

Well, this is not a java development book as much as it is a netbeans book. What I mean here is that this book is about using netbeans as an IDE and not how to be a java developer. Of course, since netbeans is a java IDE, this means that the book is full of java code, but it will not serve you to learn java as good as a book dedicated for that subject. To sum it up, this book is going to teach you how to make your java coding easier using netbeans.

Now, for your questions.

Is this book only for developing desktop applications? It covers no part of client-server architecture, or database connectivity?

Well, since it's on the IDE, it tackles both. Chapter 13 is on web applications, and chapter 15 is on GUI applications. As for DB connectivity & socket programming, I'm afraid that this is not a part of this book.

Can this book be used by a novice java user? Does this book assume knowledge of any third party libraries?

The editorial review on amazon says that this book is "Intended for Java developers of varying skill who may or may not be familiar with NetBeans IDE or Java IDEs in general".

What GUI toolkit does this book use?

Swing

Rohan Dhruva
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks for the detailed reply Alaa

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Adam,

NetBeans comes with pretty good documentation. How does your book complement the docs that come with the ide? Also, is the book written for the NB novice or is it also good for someone transitioning from earlier NB versions? I know there were big changes in both capabilities and look and feel from earlier releases.

-- cheers

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Alaa, thanks for answering for me - saves me extra typing!

H. Hall - per your questions :

"How does your book complement the docs that come with the ide?"

It significantly expands on them and adds a lot more detail, particularly in areas where I've used NetBeans on real projects and thought it would help to elaborate on the features.

"is the book written for the NB novice or is it also good for someone transitioning from earlier NB versions?"

BOTH! I've gotten email comments from NetBeans newbies who found it easy to use, as well as NetBeans gurus who liked the tips and features I pointed out that even they weren't familiar with.

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic