• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Transfer of files thro. Linux 7.x

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I am working on two seperate servers on Linux and Windows 2000 O/s.
Using a shell script, I want to transfer the files from Windows 2000 server to Linux server (Using ftp).
The script should run from Linux server.
Please guide me.
Thankz in advance
Rakesh

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You could take a look at the FTP Client library, made available under the GNU LGPL, if you are determined to use FTP and don't mind writing a java program to do it.
Alternatively you could use the Trivial FTP (tftp) client for linux if you can find a Trivial FTP daemon (tftpd) for your win2k box but be aware that tftp is rarely used any more because it's a bit of an open door.
However, if I was you I would dispense with using ftp. It's basically insecure. See here for an explanation.
I would recommend instead that you research two subjects. Firstly, Secure FTP, and secondly, Host-based Authentication using SSH. Using the latter you can set up trusted hosts, ie, set up a relationship of trust between your Linux server and your Win2K server, and having done that you can use the sftp (Secure FTP) tool to transfer files in your scripts using a variety of command-line options very easily.
HTH.

George Brown
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Ah yes, I forgot, if you set up host-based authentication you could alternatively use the 'scp' (Secure CoPy) tool with the '-B' (batch) option.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic