• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Linux script to call a java program

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I am a linux newbie but I want to call java program from a script that I would to run at startup. ( place in /rc?)

it is a bash shell and is it also possible to pass variables to the java program when it is called?

thanks

author and iconoclast
Mac OS X Eclipse IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Looks like I already answered part of this here. Please don't post the same question to multiple forums -- it just wastes people's time.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I have written a couple of shell scripts to run command line java programs from linux. One of the benefits I've found is that I can pass additional arguments to the jvm and use the script to pass environment variables to the jvm as system properties. Here's an example script I wrote:

This illustrates both features I described earlier. I have set the maximum heap size to 256 megabytes, and the script checks for the existance of the environment variable MOLDATA which it passes to the property devries.radxfer.moldata if it exists. the "$@" means insert the script's command line arguments here.

To create an rc script I would take a look at your system's init.d scripts and use a similar format. Debian provides /etc/init.d/skeleton as an example init.d script which uses their start-stop-daemon program to start and stop your daemon.

Good luck.

Chris
[ April 19, 2005: Message edited by: Chris De Vries ]
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic