• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

It's official: Leopard due Oct. 26

Sheriff
Mac Safari Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Apple.com

Sheriff
Mac Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE jQuery TypeScript Java iOS
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
My Amazon pre-order was posted long ago. Usually, Amazon ships so that the box arrives on release day!

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Kathy's excited, I'm on the fence.

It sounds like there will be some nice productivity improvement features but I know I'll drag my feet. You know, installing will be painful, then there will be new stuff to learn, blah, blah, blah

I'll let Kathy figure it all out, then I'll just cherry pick her new knowledge

marc weber
Sheriff
Mac Safari Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I'll probably watch the Apple forums over that weekend to see if any major issues surface. But otherwise, I'm anxious to upgrade.

marc weber
Sheriff
Mac Safari Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I just received my "Leopard World Premiere" email...

Friday, October 26, 6 p.m.-10 p.m.

Live demos, free T-shirts,* and a chance to be among the first to test-drive the most impressive Mac OS X version yet.

What? No big prizes this time around? Not even a 10% off sale?

The night Tiger came out, I bought my $1500 PowerBook for $1350 (and also got 10% off MS Office). I'm anxious to try Leopard, but it looks like I'll be avoiding the opening-night crowds this time around.

Bear Bibeault
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The nice UPS man will be bringing it to my door.

marc weber
Sheriff
Mac Safari Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Bear Bibeault:
The nice UPS man will be bringing it to my door.

That's the smart way to do it!

On a side note, I expect the standard license is for installation on a single machine, as opposed to a single "user." So if I wanted to upgrade both my iMac and my PowerBook, I would need the family pack. (Which would be okay, because then I could upgrade my girlfriend too. Well, her computer anyway. )

Bear Bibeault
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by marc weber:
That's the smart way to do it!

I love my Macs, but not enough to put up with crazy crowds for.

On a side note, I expect the standard license is for installation on a single machine, as opposed to a single "user." So if I wanted to upgrade both my iMac and my PowerBook, I would need the family pack. (Which would be okay, because then I could upgrade my girlfriend too. Well, her computer anyway. )

I believe that is the case. We collectively own 8 Macs, so the famiy pack is a bargain for us!

marc weber
Sheriff
Mac Safari Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Well, the upside is that Apple doesn't need any giveaways or discounts now. (Apple Insider - Apple profits soar 66 percent as Mac sales exceed 2.16 million.) Their stores will have as many customers as they can handle on Friday.

marc weber
Sheriff
Mac Safari Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Bear, let us know how the upgrade goes. I've never installed an OS before (with Windows, I never even considered it), but I expect this will be fairly easy with Mac.

I'm planning on getting a larger external drive to use with Time Machine, so before upgrading the OS, I will use this to back everything up. (I already have my critical stuff duplicated on both computers, and my iTunes library is backed up on a small external drive.)

But I just spent $550 on car maintenance and $650 on cat maintenance, so I'm laying low on purchases for a while...
[ October 27, 2007: Message edited by: marc weber ]

Bear Bibeault
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The install on the single machine I've upgraded so far went perfectly smooth. So far I've only installed Leopard on my PowerMac G4 mirror-door dual 1.4GHz desktop. The MacBook Pro belongs to the bank, so I have to wait until they get me a license for it (on order, but nothing at the bank happens fast). At some later point, I'll upgrade my iBook (but since I bring the MBP home, I haven't used the iBook in some time), and the kitchen iMac doesn't have the chops for Leopard (snow G3), so it'll stay on Tiger indefinitely.

My housemate has upgraded his Mac Mini without problems and he'll be upgrading his desktop (another PowerMac G4) and his MacBok Pro soon.

(Do we have enough computers? That doesn't count the other two G3 iMacs that are not in service at the moment.)

On the Power Mac, I cleared off one of the 4 hard drives (the one that I had been using for Final Cut render files) and did an erase-and-install of Leopard. That way, I still have my Tiger install to get files off of and to fall back on if need be. After a month or so, once I'm sure I've got everything I need, I'll wipe that disk and use it as the render cache.

Moving over stuff like my iPhoto and iTunes libraries was as easy as drag-and-drop. And I keep my license info and registration numbers on my iDisk, so re-installing apps was not a big issue.

Leopard seems snappier than Tiger on the machine. It has been widely reported that Leopard is faster on even older hardware. I found it amusing that someone on another forum -- for whom this was the first OS upgrade since switching from Windows -- marvelled that an OS upgrade could actually be an improvement.

I really like Stacks, but am a tad disappointed that its not hierarchical. I'll survive. I'm looking forward to playing with Spaces, but haven't had a chance yet. Need to pick up an external drive and put Time Machine through its paces.
[ October 27, 2007: Message edited by: Bear Bibeault ]

marc weber
Sheriff
Mac Safari Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

...I found it amusing that someone on another forum -- for whom this was the first OS upgrade since switching from Windows -- marvelled that an OS upgrade could actually be an improvement...

Isn't that telling?

Well, I see my problem is that I don't have enough Macs. I don't have one in my kitchen, for example.

Thanks for all the info! I'm anxious to move up.

Bear Bibeault
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

I don't have one in my kitchen, for example.

How do you look up recipes or read JavaRanch while waiting for coffee to brew?

marc weber
Sheriff
Mac Safari Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

How do you look up recipes or read JavaRanch while waiting for coffee to brew?

Brewing coffee sounds complicated and dangerous. Isn't that why we have trained professionals working at coffee shops? I still haven't used the pans I bought in January of 2006.

But I did have a problem not being able to hear the pizza timer because I was on a computer in another room. My solution was to install a timer app on my computer (Apimac Timer). My girlfriend insists this makes me a geek, but I maintain that because I didn't code the timer myself...
[ October 28, 2007: Message edited by: marc weber ]

Bear Bibeault
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Ah, but because the timer is not exactly synched to your oven, you might introduce race conditions....

Face it. We are geeks!

P.S. The kitchen iMac is also perfect for streaming music from my iTunes library (resident on my upstairs Power Mac) while cooking.

marc weber
Sheriff
Mac Safari Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

...the upside is that Apple doesn't need any giveaways or discounts now...

...Apple's sale of two million copies of Mac OS X Leopard during its first weekend on sale was a dramatic improvement...

By comparison, Mac OS X Tiger took 39 days to reach the same sales mark -- a 13-fold increase...

Ref: Apple Insider - Piper on Leopard sales.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I have to say, my computer room may look like mission control, but i havn't got a mac in my kitchen. Although do have a mac book so that will probably happen eventually.

I heard something about leopard and issues with java 1.6. Not that im going to be using it for a while, but has anyone heard anything?

Bear Bibeault
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Many people were expecting Java 6 to be included with Leopard and have been disappointed that it was not.
[ November 01, 2007: Message edited by: Bear Bibeault ]

Kristian Gorman
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Ahh, ok I hadn't realised that. Thanks

We don't have time for this. We've gotta save the moon! Or check this out:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com