• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Frames

Ranch Hand
Scala Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Should I be concerned about whether a client supports Frames or not? This is what I did:
(noframes)
This page requires a frames-capable browser.
(/noframes)
Am I correct in assuming almost everyone uses a Frames capable browser nowadays?
Another question. Is making you pages small enough the only way to prevent scrollbars? I have what will be a frame set soon that will look bad if it has scrollbars. I plan to make it small enough(if the browser is maximized).
[This message has been edited by Randall Twede (edited January 29, 2001).]

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Well on the frames issue, I say that in this day and age nearly all browsers have frames anabled but some will disagree. Your only choice to address this would be to build a second non-frames version of the site or not build a frames version. I tend to just avoid the frames.. but would use them if I thought I needed to.
On the preventing scrolling you can set the property of a frame like such: <Frame SCROLLING=NO SRC="page.html"> this will prevent scrollbars from ever showing up nomatter how large the page in the frame.
Lee

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Personally I hate frames-based sites ... by browser has no problem with them but sometimes they can be difficult to get out of. I just took a small survey amongst my collegues 50% didn't mind frames 50% Hated them with a passion .... I can see why they can be useful but personally I'd avoid them. Also on the page sizing issue ... you will have to tak into account that different people have their screen at different resolutions so what will fit comfortably on your screen when maximised may not on somebody elses with a lower resolution ... alos not everybody likes to maximise their browser windows ... I rarely do!

You have to be odd to be #1 - Seuss. An odd little ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic