• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Why it is called javascript???

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,

In one interview it has been asked that what is the similarity between java and javascript and why it is called javascipt?why not cscript or any other script ?

Can any one please explain me.

Thanks & Regards
Bikash

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Netscape and its marketing department... at the time their browser scripting language saw the lights of the day, they thought about names such as LiveScript, etc. Java was hot word those days (actually still is), so some genius from that department thought it's a good idea to stick the hot word to the name of the new scripting language... and presto! Milions of confused and misguided people fell into thinking that JavaScript is a small Java! Confusing job well done! There are people that still fall for that...
Actually the real intention was probably to describe the object orientation of the new scripting language beside marketing reasons... that is probably why names like CScript etc. were not suitable... come to think of it, there actually is a c-oriented scripting language but its name doesn't express its c-like nature... it's called PHP...
Of course, Microsoft came out with its own version of JavaScript, called JScript, and browser war with Netscape ensued... and JScript prevailed...
Nice little bedtime story
Good night

Sheriff
Mac Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE jQuery TypeScript Java iOS
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
And I'd add this to the list of 'Most Ridiculous Questions Asked in an Interview'.

Bikash Paul
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Bear Bibeault,

I also agree with you that this is a 'Most Ridiculous Questions Asked in an Interview' but in interview we can't argument on this, we have to give some answer or simply say don't know .As I couldn't give the exact answer i have posted this question here to know the exact answer.

By the way thanks to Gjorgi Var

Thanks & Regards
Bikash

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic