• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Info concerning the updates to the SCJP 6 exam

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator

Bert Bates wrote:Hi Guys,

We've got some news from Sun concerning recent changes to the SCJP exam.

First a little background about how Sun ALWAYS administers their certification exams:

All of Sun's exams go through rigorous processes during their creation, AND during their "live" lifetime. First off, the exam's objectives are created and verified. Next, new questions are created using an iterative creation / review / beta test / modification cycle. Once questions have gone "live" their performance is also monitored. Sun checks to see if the questions become too easy or too hard over time, or if questions cause too much confusion. When Sun determines that certain questions aren't performing well in the field, those questions are either fixed and retested, or they are retired.

Finally, Sun wants their certification exams to be challenging. They don't publish their targeted "candidate success" goals, but our assumption is that they want a certain percentage of candidates to pass, and that means a certain percentage will fail. Whatever their formula is, it appears that they want those percentages to stay fairly consistent over time (which makes a great deal of sense, and seems very fair). In other words, if there was a universal "difficulty" rating, and let's say the initial SCJP 6 exam had a difficulty rating of "7.6" (I'm totally making this up ), then when they fix or retire questions they still want the resulting exam to have a difficulty rating of "7.6".

With all that said, what happened recently is that Sun determined that several questions and objectives weren't performing well in the field. Some questions were fixed, and some were retired. In order to maintain a consistent difficulty level, they changed some of the objectives, re-evaluated the remaining questions' difficulty levels, and came up with a new number of questions, and a new passing percentage.

But, long story short, Sun went through an extensive process to make sure that the revised exam is just as hard to pass as the older version - not easier, not harder.

hth,

Bert

Hi , I am Prajwal from Bangalore,i needed help in getting a java certification, what are the necessary things should I go through to get java certified. For over 2month i'm preparing for SCJP(310-065). Now i want to take a exam in next month. I am confused by referring some blogs.I want to know what are the exact steps to be covered in-order to be java certified. Please help me ASAP.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Bert,

I have prepared for SCJP5, now its changed to 6.Could you please suggest me which version i need to write and useful.
Now i am planning to write the exam.
Please reply ASAP.

Regards
Raju

Ranch Hand
PHP Java Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
can i appear for the 1.4

Ranch Hand
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Raju Marreddi wrote:Hi Bert,

I have prepared for SCJP5, now its changed to 6.Could you please suggest me which version i need to write and useful.
Now i am planning to write the exam.
Please reply ASAP.

Regards
Raju

It is no more SCJP. It is rather Oracle Certified than Sun Certified. Oracle buys Sun

You can appear for 5 or 6 or even 7. Oracle Page for Certification

Deciding which one you should go for depends on what you can prepare for, what is current availability, there are people who very want to get certified to the latest, there are people who say, "it is all new, i dont want to take risk", and there are people who say, "I don't care which is latest, I am prepared for this, and I will take this.!"

Akhilesh Trivedi
Ranch Hand
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

shivdhwaj pandey wrote:can i appear for the 1.4

I would consider to get higher than that. I have already made up my mind. If you still want to stick to 1.4, I doubt if it is still available. I don't see it in the list.

shivdhwaj pandey
Ranch Hand
PHP Java Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
which versions are available for scjp

Akhilesh Trivedi
Ranch Hand
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

shivdhwaj pandey wrote:which versions are available for scjp

https://coderanch.com/t/558569/java-programmer-SCJP/certification/scjp

shivdhwaj pandey
Ranch Hand
PHP Java Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
what is in the link Akhilesh Trivedi nothing

Akhilesh Trivedi
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

shivdhwaj pandey wrote:what is in the link Akhilesh Trivedi nothing

I thought the link answers your question which you have been asking. There were three people you thanked,

Ankit Garg,Hebert Coelho,Randy Hernandez

If 'thank you' was nothing. ok!

shivdhwaj pandey
Ranch Hand
PHP Java Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
in that link me said thank you to then due to they replied to me first on ranch

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Is it still the case that Oracle don't test on Serialisation as stated here. I ask as I have just purchased two Oracle ePractice Exam Papers for the OCP Java 6 Exam and both have questions on Serialization?

Sheriff
Android Google Web Toolkit Hibernate IntelliJ IDE Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Some of the mock exams are not updated frequently to the changing exam objectives. Serialization is not on the exam...

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
hey Bert,
Thanks For Sharing us so precious information as this is helpful fro those who wanna prepare fro OCJP exam.

Greenhorn
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I am SCJP 6 certified. Took the exam in May 2010 before it became OCP, so it really is SCJP Now, I would like to upgrade to OCP Java SE 7 Programmer certification. I know that there is an Upgrade exam. I was wondering if I should wait until July 2012 until Kathy & Bert's certification guide for Java SE 7 to come out. Their guides have been my main study material for Java 1.4.2 & Java SE 6 certification exams. Or is there some other good study material (i.e. focuses on the exam syllabus but also explains the concepts clearly, including those not on the exam) available at this time?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Did the exam get a little easier? I was just wondering because the minimum passing score has increased and the maximum amount of time to complete the exam has shorted.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hello Guys,
i m confusing about java certification bz i did prepration for java 1.6 but now java 7 came so what changed done in java 7 ?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi,

I just wanted to know how much emphasis should I really give on giving OCJP or SCJP+ having already passed SCJP6 exam ? Is the juice worth the squeeze ?

Thanks.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi,

I am preparing for SCJP 6 but want to know more on how to prepare on API content part?
Need guidance, help me out

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
hello everyone ... i have started preparing for Ocjp 6 as of now.... but want to know what is the difference b/w scjp and scjp+ ??? ... as was mentioned in the previous post

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
examlab.tk is one of the best simulator that can be used to prepare for OCJP 6 exam. The best part of all is it is free of cost!! It is helping alot in understanding the tricks and concepts with tricky questions. I am planning to give OCJP exam by his month End. Hope for the best

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Everyone,
I did my OCJP SE6 exam yesterday and passed 81%.I know it's not a very high score but considering the difficulty of the questions I am happy.
It was in a London Pearson Vue centre,60 questions ,many were harder than the questions I tried ,I did feel that the difficulty level was very high- covered each all objectives.
I was surprised to find questions using collections - iterators.
Thanks

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic