the trailboss abuses his CodeRanch power for his other stuff (power corrupts. absolute power corrupts absolutely is kinda neat!)
permaculture light bulbs permaculture electric heat permaculture cast iron permaculture wood burning stove permaculture solar food dehydrators
The moose likes Meaningless Drivel and the fly likes Football 2010 Winner speculation Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login

Win a copy of Android Security Essentials Live Lessons this week in the Android forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Other » Meaningless Drivel
Bookmark "Football 2010 Winner speculation" Watch "Football 2010 Winner speculation" New topic
Author

Football 2010 Winner speculation

Sumit Patil
Ranch Hand

Argentina or Spain

Thanks & Regards, Sumeet
SCJP 1.4, SCWCD 5, LinkedIn Profile
Chris Baron
Ranch Hand

Paul Sturrock wrote:What, are you writing off a Brazil win and Ivory Coast wining nine nil then?!

Damn, convicted for abstraction
Ok, this scenario could be a motivation to push for Portugal if they are informed on the pitch that I-Coast is leading 7-0. But only then.
Paul Sturrock
Bartender

Sumit Patil wrote:Argentina or Spain

The Spanish could go out today. They need a win and it needs to be better than any win the Swiss manage.

JavaRanch FAQ HowToAskQuestionsOnJavaRanch
Chris Baron
Ranch Hand

Paul Sturrock wrote:
Sumit Patil wrote:Argentina or Spain

The Spanish could go out today. They need a win and it needs to be better than any win the Swiss manage.

Mmm Brazil - Switzerland that would be fun. Hopp Swiiz Hopp!
Vijitha Kumara
Bartender

Hmm... It's kinda dead rubber (Brazil vs Portugal), both teams might rest their key players.

SCJP 5 | SCWCD 5
[How to ask questions] [Twitter]
Paul Sturrock
Bartender

Vijitha Kumara wrote:Hmm... It's kinda dead rubber (Brazil vs Portugal), both teams might rest their key players.

You another one who doesn't think Ivory Coast can score nine?!
Vijitha Kumara
Bartender

Paul Sturrock wrote:You another one who doesn't think Ivory Coast can score nine?!

Strange things has happened so far in the tournament, who knows
Pushkar Choudhary
Rancher

Paul Sturrock wrote:The Spanish could go out today. They need a win and it needs to be better than any win the Swiss manage.

They need a better win than the Swiss only to top the group. A win same as the Swiss would also help Spain qualify, but in the second position.
Vijitha Kumara
Bartender

As it stands now ARG, GER, ESP, POR have a tougher challenge than Brazil to go through to semi-final stage.
Chris Baron
Ranch Hand

Germany vs. England
Man, i can't wait.
I just checked the stats:
out of 32 matches since 1908, England leads with 15:10 wins and 66:37 goals. 6 draws.

It's really our turn this time
Revenge for Oxford 1909!

Hussein Baghdadi
clojure forum advocate
Bartender

It is a scandal for the English football.
4-1 defeat and I don't understand how England's manager isn't even English.
Shashika Wickramarachchi
Greenhorn

Why football doesn't go for TV Review?? almost all the games now take that advantage, specially cricket, even in rugby.. why not in football..
If so things would have been changed...

But still it's Uruguay's world Cup!!!
Hussein Baghdadi
clojure forum advocate
Bartender

It turns out that England's second goal didn't cross the line,
http://imgur.com/QxJvh
Vijitha Kumara
Bartender

Shashika Wickramarachchi wrote:Why football doesn't go for TV Review?? ...

FIFA plans to have it in 2014 as I heard.
Chris Baron
Ranch Hand

What a match!
The highest defeat of the English team in world cup history.
It was clearly a 4-2 though. Everybody on this planet saw Englands second goal except the referees. This goal will make history like the legendary Wembley Goal did.
Hussein Baghdadi
clojure forum advocate
Bartender

Chris Baron wrote:What a match!
It was clearly a 4-2 though. Everybody on this planet saw Englands second goal except the referees. This goal will make history like the legendary Wembley Goal did.

I don't think it is clearly 4-2
If England's second goal allowed, things will be completely different both for Germans and British, this goal changed the whole game.
Shashika Wickramarachchi
Greenhorn

John Todd wrote:
If England's second goal allowed, things will be completely different both for Germans and British, this goal changed the whole game.

I agree with you John... 100%
Paul Sturrock
Bartender

John Todd wrote:
Chris Baron wrote:What a match!

I don't think it is clearly 4-2

Nah (and do you mean the English rather than British?). The Germans were better for most of the game and should have been a few more goals up by the time Lampard's effort was not spotted by the officials. England have looked like a poor side throughout the competition. Capello seemed to have really odd tactics - why were the defense spread so wide when Terry and Upson are slow? Why persist with Rooney when he's clearly out of form? Why let Schweinsteiger have so much of the ball? He's a good player, but not as good as the English midfield made him appear. Where were Cole and Johnson? Capello is playing without wingers so these two needed to get forward - I can barely remember either having a cross all game. Not a good performance by England in this match.
Paul Sturrock
Bartender

Shashika Wickramarachchi wrote:Why football doesn't go for TV Review?? almost all the games now take that advantage, specially cricket, even in rugby.. why not in football..
If so things would have been changed...

But still it's Uruguay's world Cup!!!

The rational (as I understand it) is rules need applied at all levels of football. FIFA don't have the concept of rules for big competitions (where there is TV coverage) being different from rule for small competitions (where there isn't). Not sure I agree with this thinking, but that's their current defence.
Paul Sturrock
Bartender

Mind you, just watched Argentina's "goal" against Mexico. FIFA may well have to rething quickly.
Chris Baron
Ranch Hand

Yes i'm also for it and if it's just for the major tournaments. But in the end Argentina clearly won.

Now Germany plays Argentina. I don't like them, they are so messi
Rui Azevedo
Greenhorn

Chris Baron wrote:Yes i'm also for it and if it's just for the major tournaments. But in the end Argentina clearly won.

They did, but as in the Germany-England match, that goal could have made a lot of difference. Mexico were playing a better football up until then, and creating more chances.
Chris Baron
Ranch Hand

I was all with Mexico, but i think a team that wants to be world champion has to be able to push their way through. Especially in hard situations. Injustices like these two goals today ought make good teams more eager not weaker.
Pushkar Choudhary
Rancher

Not sure whether the two goals would've changed the course of either of the two games yesterday, but seeing such errors made in the biggest tournament is just annoying. And as the two presenters on ESPN were saying at half time, the whole world is watching... So lets hope FIFA takes notice of such incidents and does something about it.
Jaikiran Pai
Marshal

Vijitha Kumara wrote:
Shashika Wickramarachchi wrote:Why football doesn't go for TV Review?? ...

FIFA plans to have it in 2014 as I heard.

From what I read, they don't have any plans of using technology for reviews in the near future. Instead they are planning to station 2 additional referees on either side of the goal to reduce these kind of situations. But then again, I don't think that will improve things. After all, those incorrect decisions yesterday were way too easy to spot even for the official standing on the sidelines.

On a slightly positive note though, the referees seem to have slowed down on flashing the cards. Yesterday's games did not see the referees pulling out the card every time some player went to ground.

As for the England team, they were just too sluggish and slow to either make an attacking move or to defend against the German attack. I couldn't believe Barry just gave up when Ozil made that run.

[My Blog] [JavaRanch Journal]
Peter Rooke
Ranch Hand

England were total outplayed yesterday - sad to say it but they were just not good enough. The team has some great players, but they don't seem to be able to work together - the German side showed England how to play as an effective team. Well done Germany..

As for the Lampard Goal - I think it would have changed things, but the defensive made some many basic mistakes that they were never going to be able to stop the Germans from scoring. For the first goal I don't understand why the defenders left so much space between themselves - there positions were just totally wrong. The second goal was much the same - defenders pulled completely out of shape and totally lost. England are not going to win anything if they cannot get the very basics right!!! Going forward was better, but they did not seem to have any wingers (that's players on left or right hand sides who then cross the ball into the centre) - German just packed the centre and took the ball back...

Why, oh why did they not put on Lesley King!

English players need to spend less time trying to be celebrities (Beckham started all of this rubbish) and more time on the training pitch... Why don't we have players like Terry Butcher, Stewart Pearce, Paul Scholes (etc) - to them it was about playing (and winning) football. Sad that our few talented players were made to look so stupid by the rest of the team.

Anyway - Brazil to win. Argentina and Germany will be a great match...

Regards Pete
Joe Harry
Ranch Hand

So yet another biggie out of the tournament. I'm eagerly waiting for the Germany vs Argentina match. In 2006 it was the same as both the teams met in the Quarter finals. Hope this time Argentina fights back.

SCJP 1.4, SCWCD 1.4 - Hints for you, Certified Scrum Master
Did a rm -R / to find out that I lost my entire Linux installation!
Chris Baron
Ranch Hand

To video reviews/goal referees: after yesterday i'm absolutely for it because the current situation dilutes victories and makes bitter defeats even more bitter. But many footballers are absolutely against it, among them our eloquent former playmaker Günter Netzer.
He said: "As hard as it may be: football is drama, football is not perfect". And that the especialness of e.g. the England vs. Germany rivalry maybe wouldn't exist without the Wembley Goal.

Oh oh concluding from this logic, the Bloemfontain-Goal will be justification for English dominance over Germany for decades
Rui Azevedo
Greenhorn

Maybe football is drama, but for many players the World Cup is a once in a lifetime opportunity. And to come out of the tournament after leaving everything on the field, just because the referee made a bad decision... It's frustrating to say the least.
Paul Sturrock
Bartender

Rui Azevedo wrote:
Chris Baron wrote:Yes i'm also for it and if it's just for the major tournaments. But in the end Argentina clearly won.

They did, but as in the Germany-England match, that goal could have made a lot of difference. Mexico were playing a better football up until then, and creating more chances.

I suppose the only thing the referee can console himself with is that the ball was probably already going in whether Teves touched it or not. I don't think this was the decisive moment in the match, though it's not a good thing to see.
Kaustubh G Sharma
Ranch Hand

germany or arzentina

No Kaustubh No Fun, Know Kaustubh Know Fun..
forums UseR
Ranch Hand

I would like Argentina to win! Only because of the coach!
Paul Clapham
Bartender

srinivas chary wrote:I would like Argentina to win! Only because of the coach!

Okay... now you may have noticed that whereas in the first round, potentially good teams were being eliminated and not so good teams were going through, in the second round we are much closer to having predictable results. So it should be possible to look at the match-ups and see who is the most likely to win, and to actually have some chance of being correct.

So: Paraguay vs Japan. Japan was one of those not-so-good teams who got through. Paraguay is not bad. So Paraguay should win. Spain vs Portugal? I don't know, needs somebody who is more of a fan than I am to predict. Likewise for the third round... anybody want to give it a try?
Christophe Verré
Sheriff

I'm also in favor of using the video. I've seen enough of unfair goals or no goals, god's hands (should be called devil's hand by the way). Is the FIFA as blind as its referees ? If they still don't want to use it, they have to turn the damn stadium screens off. Are they asking for more troubles ? It's not only wasting a game, it's also wasting one nation's hopes.
--- end of rant ---

"Smaller" teams are falling one after another. Today is Japan's turn. I hope they'll get to the next round. I hope we'll see another of their gorgeous free kicks

[My Blog]
All roads lead to JavaRanch
forums UseR
Ranch Hand

Christophe Verré wrote:I'm also in favor of using the video. I've seen enough of unfair goals or no goals, god's hands (should be called devil's hand by the way). Is the FIFA as blind as its referees ? If they still don't want to use it, they have to turn the damn stadium screens off. Are they asking for more troubles ? It's not only wasting a game, it's also wasting one nation's hopes.
--- end of rant ---

I have limited knowledge of Soccer/football. It(the wrong refereeing) reminds me of Third Empire in Cricket, where the decision is delayed till the replay is shown few times.

I just saw couple Argentina games, and they do play an attacking game, more strikers in the front. They penetrate pretty well. Like in any game, at least some credit also goes to coach.

Looking forward to Argentina vs Germany...

Pushkar Choudhary
Rancher

And now, FIFA says errors should be a part of the game. Also read here and here.

How ridiculous!!!
ankur rathi
Ranch Hand

My speculation for final - Brazil vs Argentina.

For winner - Argentina.

Rizvan Asgarov
Ranch Hand

Hi,

Hey, a goal of the England was neglected in this match related with cross-bar...
Uruguayan linesman (referee) could not see the real goal situation formerly seen by Tofik Bakhramov (which happened in 1966 World Cup between England and Germany - final match).

PS: Yes, Tofik Bakhramov is from Azerbaijan (my compatriot). He was later rumoured to have been presented with a golden whistle by Queen Elizabeth II for his "services to England"... "Wembley Goal"

"Half of the science is to ask question"
Christophe Verré
Sheriff

Rizvan Asgarov wrote:He was later rumoured to have been presented with a golden whistle by Queen Elizabeth II for his "services to England"... "Wembley Goal"

This time, the referee will be honored to receive a royal kick in the butt Or maybe just a pair of glasses.
Rizvan Asgarov
Ranch Hand

Christophe Verré wrote:This time, the referee will be honored to receive a royal kick in the butt Or maybe just a pair of glasses.

I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools

subject: Football 2010 Winner speculation