• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Client Side Xml

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Guys !!!
I am searching for a way to "Page" data records using XML & javascripting. When obtaining the Resultset ... is it possible to populate a xml file with the records obtained and then send this ".xml" file to the client. On the client side how should i go about obtaining a certain set of records from the xml file (say the first 10 records). Also, on the click of next & previous is it possible to obtain the next 10 records or the previous 10 records respectively. Is it possible to sort a certain range of records say records 30 to 40 or sorting all records obtained on the basis of one of the columns. Is it possible to carry out all these manipulations on the ".xml" file ... in the sense i would like to obtain the data only once and place it into the xml file, then furthur moving through each page of data should obtain now the data from the xml file. This would help greatly where efficiency is concerned. How should this be best implemented ??? Would it work the same in IE & Netscape 4.3 ??? What needs to be done ??? Pls Suggest !!!

Thanks Guys

author and deputy
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Sam Furtado:
This would help greatly where efficiency is concerned.
Thanks Guys

Hi Sam!..
I read somewhere is Apache Site that "don't use XML where its not necessary, XML will affect your processing time,eats memory etc.," I forgot the exact the location,but i'm sure it appeared in Apache site.
In your case i don't see the need for XML,you can do the same process using JDBC-Servlet-Velocity-structs etc.
If you are going to display the raw XML directly then its okay to go-ahead(no netscape,IE and mozilla yes).
If you want to transform this XML into HTML with XALAN then it will kill ur processing time.
May be MSXML would be faster than Xalan,but you have to swicth ur application into asp.
If i had misunderstood ur question,please ignore this reply.
Regards
Balaji

Sam Furtado
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Guys
Thanks Balaji !
I had heard from a person who had done it using ASP wherein he was using "xmldso" that, it is very efficient. Also, i do not intend to use "xsl" / Xalan since i do not want to transform it to html. All that i want is to hit the database only once then, populate a xml file with the table contents and finally read a certain range of contents from the xml file. For instance reading records 1-10 then, on the click of next reading records 11-20 & so on forward and backwards. How should the same be done in java ? Are there any sites that provide sample code for the same ? That too would be of great help. Pls suggest how i should go about attaining it.
Thanks

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic