• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

XML over Relational Data Storage

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I am in process of designing a database to hold archival data. The data is read only. No updates need to be made at any time.
Entire details about a particular records spans across 10 to 12 rows in the database, if i go for relational approach.
I need to display data for that entire record as part of display mechanism.
The frequency of data to be retrieved is very less. maybe once in 4 months or so.

First Approach:
Since the data is read only I figured that the entire data for a record can also be placed in a big table. Ideally that is something we always avoid, but since it is just read and display, if indexing is done properly, it should be ok right?

Second approach:
put the entire record data in a xml file and save in the database as a blob.
Use tools such as Db2 XML Extender for retreiving the data.

which of the two approaches should i go for. Are there any disadvantages in using second approach in terms of performances?
Are there any advantages of second approach in terms of Database space(blob is compressed right?)
I am quite new at this and will appreciate help.
Thanks,
Chetak

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic