• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

what is RUP/XP ? .. pls ans... tmrw is my interview

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi ranchers..
To be honest i want to make appeal to all of you, to help me . Tommorow morning ie after 10 hours is my Technical interview for a job in v.good IT company..

Can you pls all of you tell me

1. what is RUP and XP ?
2. whats its advantage and why its use ?
3. pls tell me little bit Technically so that i should present that i have some knowledge of RUP and XP,so that i can present that i have good idea of RUP and XP
theoritically... and some bit technically..

4. when we use RUP and XP
5. tell me what should i know about RUP and XP for interview..
( i have not written RUP and XP in my resueme but... candidates who have been interview today has been asked about it )...

pls reply asap..

Thanks in advance..
regards,
amit
[ May 21, 2005: Message edited by: amit taneja ]

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I have gathered some resources at http://faq.javaranch.com/view?RupLinks and http://faq.javaranch.com/view?ExtremeProgramming

You should also search this forum - you should be able to find many relevant discussions on the topic.

Feel free to come back with more specific questions! For interview-specific questions, you might also want to try the Job Discussions forum - but please choose only one forum per question, don't crosspost.

amit taneja
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
thanx sherrif

a lot....

i posted here because of the specific topic...
so ppl with experience in this topic can answer well and may not see my post in jobdiscussion

well again thanx for relpy...

Thank god that you don't closed my topic ...as Ant forum bartender has closed my post..and i request him and give genuine reason for my post
then he again open that topic...
..........my intentions is not to hurt anybody but tell you that i make an appeal and you should understand the time and request of need...

Regards,
Amit

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by amit taneja:
thanx sherrif

Thank god that you don't closed my topic ...as Ant forum bartender has closed my post..and i request him and give genuine reason for my post
then he again open that topic...
..........my intentions is not to hurt anybody but tell you that i make an appeal and you should understand the time and request of need...

Regards,
Amit

I would like to suggest(please do not consider this as rude or anything of that nature). You may have to look at your written English; I can see some glaring grammer issues here. They may be detrimental during your professional carrer. Please consider this as a positive suggestion.

Ilja Preuss
author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by amit taneja:
i posted here because of the specific topic...
so ppl with experience in this topic can answer well and may not see my post in jobdiscussion

It's hard to answer such a broad question - there are whole libraries of books written about it...

I suggested the job discussion forum because the people there are more likely able to tell you what's relevant in an interview.

Anyway, tell us how it went!

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
** Most important diff - RUP is a framwork, XP is a process**

RUP is a project framework that describes a class of processes that are iterative and incremental. RUP compliant process deliver functionality in small increments, each building on the previous, and each being driven by use cases rather than being the construction of a subsystem. RUP processes estimate tasks and plan schedules by measuring the speed of iterations relative to their original estimates. Early iterations of RUP driven projects are strongly focussed upon software architecture; rapid imple-mentation of features is delayed until a firm architecture has been identified and tested.

a minimal implementation of RUP was called dX . The principles and practices of dX were identified several years ago by Ward Cunningham, Kent Beck, Ron Jeffries, and a host of other developers and methodologists. They have used this process on several projects with significant success. Because of that success, they have gathered quite a following. They call the process Extreme Programming; or for short: XP

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
There's some historical challenges that I'd like to point out.

RUP is a project framework that describes a class of processes that are iterative and incremental.

Actually, the Unified Process is a framework from which iterative and incremental (evolutionary) processes can be defined. The RUP, and the EUP for that matter, are instances of the UP. The RUP is now being marketed by IBM Rational as both a process and a framework from which you can tailor your own process.

a minimal implementation of RUP was called dX . The principles and practices of dX were identified several years ago by Ward Cunningham, Kent Beck, Ron Jeffries, and a host of other developers and methodologists. They have used this process on several projects with significant success. Because of that success, they have gathered quite a following. They call the process Extreme Programming; or for short: XP

Actually, Bob Martin first wrote about dX a few years ago in a rough draft of a book he was writing at the time. He was showing that RUP could be dramatically cut down to be something close to XP (dX is XP turned upside down). His company, Object Mentor, developed a plug in to RUP to cut out out most of the kruft so as to make it far more agile.

XP did not, in any way, shape or form, come from RUP.

- Scott

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Scott Ambler:
Actually, the Unified Process is a framework from which iterative and incremental (evolutionary) processes can be defined. - Scott

I'd like to start a separate thread or group here to refine the Agile Waterfall pattern for generative object-oriented development including distributed, outsoured test-first quality and .NET pair programming.

Paul Chisholm, in a note about a closely analogous topic, writes: War is peace. Ignorance is Strength. Freedom is Slavery. Process is Agility.

See http://www.agile.com.

[Fixed the link - Ilja]
[ May 29, 2005: Message edited by: Ilja Preuss ]

Ranch Hand
IntelliJ IDE Java Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
What does is mean?

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic