• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Agile Training

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I'm trying to identify a training in Agile practices. Can anyone recommend something?

Background:
I work on fixed-priced contracts, and our firm is working on CMMI certification. Based on these issues, it would seem that I would need to take a more pragmatic approach, and wouldn't be able to adhere to something as strict as XP, but might be able to adopt some of the general Agile pieces, like TDD, for example.

Alternatively, might it be preferable to go to this conference as a first step? http://www.sqe.com/agiledevpractices/

I just don't know where to begin, and I don't have a ton of free time to investigate via books and online documentation, but I do have a "training/conference" allowance.

Thanks,
Jamie

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
It might not be obvious, but it's quite possible to do something "as strict" as XP with fixed price contracts - you just won't get all the benefits (simply because fixed price contracts are suboptimal in general). XP also isn't in conflict with CMMI.

The conference looks quite good - a lot of good, well-established speakers. The "Transitioning to Agile" track might be of particular interest.

Besides that, I think the most beneficial thing you could do is getting an experienced coach on board.

Jamie Jackson
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I think I'll sign up for that conference.

By the way, how do I find out more about XP "coaches?"

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Jamie Jackson:
By the way, how do I find out more about XP "coaches?"

Word of mouth is the best source, in my opinion. But if you don't personally know anyone who could recommend a coach, the "extremeprogramming" Yahoo! group would be a good place to ask and to hang around.

If you're looking for a full-time XP coach who you could program with, technology is also a factor. Not everyone is familiar enough with a particular language to be an effective coach. I, for example, am not familiar enough with C++ to sign up for a C++ programming gig although I do coach C++ teams on using agile methods.

Also, where do you live? It's often easier to get someone nearby than someone who'd have to fly back and forth.

Forget this weirdo. You guys wanna see something really neat? I just have to take off my shoe .... (hint: it's a tiny ad)
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic