• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Agile for infrastructure / upgrade projects

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I'm currently involved in an upgrade of a purchased product from version 6 to 8 (throught 6.5 and 7). This requires upgraded versions of OS, message queue, jdbc drivers, mainframe database and hardware (9-10 servers in test and production).

I've seen Agile (scrum) work on additions to an established infrastructure. How does an agile methodology apply to a project like this where we have 3 teams (dev, hardware and database) working on what appears to be a 10 month project with schedule restrictions based 3 separate schedules for delivery?

Thanks,
Bill Stephens

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Why do you need to have three teams? Why would they be separated by function?

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
It depends on your context and your goals. You will have to determine those yourself, and based on your findings, you can then start looking at what practices to adopt.

A few that come to mind that I've seen in similar situations are: 1) we need to communicate better because we are three different teams, 2) we need to be 'on the same page', and 3) we need to integrate well.

Those bring practices such as:
1) co-location, evocative documents, workshops
2) release backlog, iterations, iteration demos
3) continuous integration

Now, I don't recommend you adopt them all at once. And which ones come first really depend on your pains, risks, and goals.

Hope this helps - Amr

She's brilliant. She can see what can be and is not limited to what is. And she knows this tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic