• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Email System

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi all,

I have been assigned a project to make a wap based email system. It is going to be something similar to Yahoo/Hotmail except that it is going to work on handheld devices.

What I wanted to know was that are all emails & attachments stored in a database or are the emails stored as text files. What do you think Yahoo/Hotmail does?

Marshal
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser MySQL Database
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
It isn't clear to me whether this e-mail system is going to be an e-mail server or an e-mail client. Or both. You say it's going to work on handheld devices, and that suggests to me that it's a client. But then you start asking about Yahoo and Hotmail, which are servers.

I can't imagine running an e-mail server on a handheld device. So I suppose you must be asking about a client, which will connect to a central server somewhere. Am I right so far?

Danish Saeed
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
It is a client-server application and I have to do both ends. My question is specific to the server side as all emails are stored on the server.

WML pages are just like web pages. All processing will place on the server and wml pages will be displayed on the client.
[ April 21, 2006: Message edited by: Danish Saeed ]

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic