• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Passed SCWCD 1.4 (barely) yesterday with 62% score

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I cleared my SCWCD 1.4 exam today "by the skin of my teeth" and I am really happy about passing the toughest exam on the planet. I would like to thank the authors of HFSJ (Kathy, Bert and Bryan); the people behind the JEnthuse mock exam website, the JAVARANCH mock exam website, and the JAVARANCH website for this triumph.

My stategic question: Which exam should I take next: The SCBCD (which is all about EJB's) OR The Sun Certified Developer for JAVA Web-Services ??? (Many of my JAVA Developer friends say that I should take the Web-Services exam next.)

Note that I'm a 25-year Mainframe Applications Developer attempting to retool myself in the new technology (for survival).

Please let me know your thoughts on this, please. Thanks. Take care.

Al Diovanni
SCJP2
SCWCD 1.4
ORACLE OCP 8i

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Congrats

Regards
Vishwas
SCJP1.4
SCJA

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Congrats Al,

it IS a tough exam, and lots and lots of people don't pass - remember, we tend to hear about all the success stories here on JavaRanch so we forget how hard this stuff is!

- Bert

Ranch Hand
Hibernate Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Agreed wholeheartedly - it's a very tough exam, and any pass you can walk away with.. Congratulations on making it!

As for what to do next, I think that really is more a matter of where you want to go with the certifications. SCDJWS probably won't be updated as soon as SCBCD, but depending on what part of the field you're looking at working in...

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I got that score too, but that's my problem.

I downloaded paul's SCWCD Exam kit, but didn't noticed it's for J2EE 1.3. The book reminded me no worrying about filter, cookies, only four patterns, and even no new scriptlet.

To make things worse, I even used mock exam for J2EE 1.3.
After I finished the questions, before click "END", I believed I must fail, I even didn't look at the score at all. After I stepped in my car, and had a deep breath, said "ok, let's see how to redo the exam", I found I passed.

It's big lession for me, I won't use free books anymore, when I prepared SCBCD 1.3, I bought all the books from Amazon.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Congratulations Al for your pass.I had also low passing score in this exam 63% but of course it doesn't mean you haven't grasp this technology.I admire you about your 25 years of mainframe experience.You were prepared enough I think and may be if the exam was taken one day before or after with a little more concetration you could achieve much higher score.Of course bravo also to people that achieve high scores

Congratulations again and best wishes

Sheriff
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Congratulations.

Btw, I'm wondering what it the percentage of success/failure at this exam.
Anybody knows ?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Congratu-phuquin-lations!!! I'm in the same boat. I passed with 48 questions correct (69%). A pass is a pass. WELCOME to the club!!
Ben

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic