• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Congrats Theodore

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Theodore,

Congrats on passing SCJP 5.0!!!

Tell us about ur preparation for 5.0, and how should it be different from 1.4.

rgrds,
Shankar

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
This should be in our Sun Certifications Forum. Moving...

Ranch Hand
Hibernate Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You know, it's really weird to walk into work at 7 AM, trying to get some caffeine into your system to get your brain to switch gears from commuting to computing, and suddenly see your name in a post on the great big fora list. Heh.

The majority of what I did to prepare is code - we're converting, albeit slowly, in our office from 1.4.2 to 5.0 - so I've been working with some of the less arcane things like enums and autoboxing while rewriting some code.

Aside from that, I took a few quick glances at Head-First Java 2nd Edition (bought it for my wife when she was preparing for the SCJA) and the Tiger Developers Notebook. I think it shows in my scores that I didn't prepare quite as well as I needed on some of the more interesting aspects like concurrency, but I have the basics down and that was good enough to pass.

As for how it differs from 1.4, I never took the SCJP for 1.4 - I was certified on 1.2 back in March of 2001. So I wouldn't know.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
fantastic sir
hats off

please be kind enough to ans some of my queries :

1. i passed BE and planning to give SCJP 5.0 -- is programming experience required for preparation??

2. i hav a little experience in Java programming (college level ,no job ex)--- so will it be enough to practise at home and prepare for the exam ??

Theodore Casser
Ranch Hand
Hibernate Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I have absolutely no idea what you mean by BE. However, I would highly recommend having some programming experience before you tackle the SCJP exam, regardless of which version you're taking. I'm absolutely certain that you can pass it with just book knowledge... but I wouldn't have the slightest idea of how you'd manage that feat without verifying that you understand how the syntax and API fit together.

As for how to get that experience, I would say that using the language - whether at home or in a professional environment - is a good way to start. The only way to learn it is to use it...

Sumit Badheka
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thankyou very much sir,
i appreciate that u found some time to give me guidance

by the way BE is "Bachelor Of Engineering In Infotmation Technology"
,I did my BE from a reputed college in India, Mumbai

I would like to stay in touch with you regarding any other queries
well my e-mail id is : sumit_crce@yahoo.com , sumit.badheka@gmail.com

please do send me your email address

thankyou sir

Theodore Casser
Ranch Hand
Hibernate Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Ah. That explains a lot - I've been wondering, but didn't know what the acronym meant, though I'd figured it had to be some kind of bachelor's degree.

As for messages, I'd prefer to get messages through the PM mechanism here - I largely follow the Ranch from work, and shouldn't be receiving emails about it at any of my business addresses. I hope you understand.

I'll be around.

shan Iyer
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Theodore,
What is the secret behind so many certifications, while most of us struggle to get just one or two certifications. Is it only practise or do you believe that one must also pocess some kind of a talent/knack/aptitude towards java/j2ee.
Its anyway a great inspiration for us all!!
rgrds,
Shankar

Theodore Casser
Ranch Hand
Hibernate Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
There's no "secret", much as that would be either flattering or useful. (And I'm certainly not the most certified person around here.) You're looking at alphabet soup, for one, that's built up over four and a half years, so just by time passing, it's gotten larger.

But mostly, anything that's on that list has been something I've used around the office over that time. I'm by and large a servlet and JSP developer in my office (which explains the SCJP and SCWCD), with some experience in web services and software architecting. Most of my IBM certs come from either my former company (we worked with WebSphere and DB2, not to mention we were IBM partners) or from skills like XML that I've been "nudged" into covering for my current job.

But the answer is simply, practice and study. I imagine that it is possible to pass any of the certifications with enough book-reading, but it renders the paper somewhat meaningless without real experience to back it up. (And besides, practice makes it all easier...)

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic