• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

cleared 488...

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
ust cleared ibm test 488 with 73%(passing score is 57%). This is the lowest score I got among other tests I took this year: scjp, ibm 283, 486, 483, scea-I. I felt it was the most difficult java certs I took since I had little VAS 4.0 experienc and I was not well prepared. Now my j2ee certs tour will be closed except the scea-II/III
Below is my experience to prepare for 488:
1. Didn't read any red books.
2. Did read most the articles listed onmy web page. It is really helps especially for the part 7 & 8 in the test.
3. For the people without WAS experience, you should deploy some toy projects in the product following the instructions of the tutorials, at least doing it in your brain like me. Ater doing that, I am confident to assemble and deploy my j2ee apps on client sites without errors(maybe). Since I couldn't download WAS with my 28.8k modom, even I could download it, I couldn't install it on my computer(65 RAM with Win95 OS). I got 11 ouf of 15 questions in part 7 & 8.
3. Took ibm 488 sample test and whizlab's trial test. Thanks Axel for your long post, it helps alot! I think these 83 sample questions are enough. Reading articles is more important in term of learning new technology and passing the test quickly.
There are some discussion taking which test (488/158), I think it depends: 488 is the best one for me since:
1. It is faster for me taking test 488 than taking 158 since I had some experience in developing j2ee app with VAJ 3.5 last winter, it really save some of my precious time to play soccer . I got 4 out of 8 questions in part 6 - VAJ, it is faire since I didn't spend any time on it.
2. If you got IBM certified Enterprise Developer under your blet, who cares the difference between Visualage based or WSAD based? I really enjoy JCert's "Certified Once, Recognized Everywhere"! Switching an ide is a simple task. After using VAJ for some time, I tried Jbuilder by myself and just felt comfortable using it with little learning curve. Plus the market may need more migration ejb projects currently.

I think that JCert Level 3 + SCEA is best combination of J2EE certs path.

Bruce
-------------------
ICED
www.bm-one.com

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Bruce !
Congratulations and thank's a lot for your web page

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
congrats.
I got the same score with IBM.158
Axel

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Bruce, which 83 questions? Is there a link for it? I plan to take the 488 test soon.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Bruce,
I am new member,I visited your site its very nice.
I have some questions ....
1)I have knowlege of Servlets and Ejb 1.1,but don't know much about Jsp,Xml,Soap...so could you tell me how much depth knowlege I require for clearing this test.
2)what is the imp topics in webshere infocentre and ibm handbook4.0?because it is too long so I am some what confused?
Please help me.
Thanks.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic