• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Question to authors - IBM test 484 material

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Following are my questions
1) Why IBM wants to create a test that is probably in contrast to tests that are already offered by Sun.
2) What is your approach to this test material( sample tests, quizzes, number of question etc).

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
please read this!!!

Kishore Dandu
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Jim Bracks:
please read this!!!

Caught me!!!
But, certification forum is something people don't really frequent, they do it only when they want to get certified. Right???

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

1) Why IBM wants to create a test that is probably in contrast to tests that are already offered by Sun.

IBM's exam focus on different areas. For SUN, one exam focus on exact one area: SCWCD for Web components, and SCBCD for business component.
However, IBM's exam mixes up all things together. In addition, it includes the connectivity features, like JDBC, JCA, JAAS, JAXP, etc, that are not covered in any of the SUN's exams.

2) What is your approach to this test material( sample tests, quizzes, number of question etc).

THe materials should be a test simulator, which consists of 5 tests, with a lot of custom quiz questions, and some exam notes.
You may find most info from:
http://www.whizlabs.com/j2ee/j2ee-details.html
Nick

Nicholas Cheung
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

But, certification forum is something people don't really frequent, they do it only when they want to get certified. Right???

I partially agree with this, as I always visit cert. forums, no matter I am in the progress of preparing the exams, or even finished the exams.
Nick

Kishore Dandu
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Nicholas Cheung:

I partially agree with this, as I always visit cert. forums, no matter I am in the progress of preparing the exams, or even finished the exams.
Nick

That some times applies to people not doing productive stuff at work.

Nicholas Cheung
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

That some times applies to people not doing productive stuff at work.

This may not be true always.
My company highly appreiate her staffs (including me) to take certificates, so that she can claim to her clients that, all the staffs have good knowledge on various technologies.
I even got sponser for test fee, as well as test materials from my company, and I can even leave office on time when I have an exam on that week.
However, I always need to work overtime, and work on Sat and Sun to rush for the projects to compansate the *benefits*.
Nick

Kishore Dandu
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

This may not be true always.
My company highly appreiate her staffs (including me) to take certificates, so that she can claim to her clients that, all the staffs have good knowledge on various technologies.
I even got sponser for test fee, as well as test materials from my company, and I can even leave office on time when I have an exam on that week.
However, I always need to work overtime, and work on Sat and Sun to rush for the projects to compansate the *benefits*.
Nick

My case is to the contrary. Where I work, they don't appreciate people going for certifications(for sure there is no reimbursement for test fees and test preparation material). One manager remarked like "we don't pay for resume upgrades" when asked about certification & stuff.
I also work with collegues who never heard of theserverside/javaranch and do code on the enterprise Java side

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
hi nick, kishore,
Most companies are somewhere in the middle. It would really be nice if you get time off and paid to do the exams. (and get a payrise if you pass, or otherwise you can go to a company that pays better - if there are jobs around.)
My company pays if i succeed the exam, and obviously i need to study in free time. However they do promote the studying because then they can sell you for more money (i work for a big consultancy).
see yah, baz

Nicholas Cheung
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
This really depends on the nature of the company, and how your boss react
In order to build a higher profile, 3 years ago, when the IT *bubbles* explosed, my company started to use lower salary to recruit higher profile people, and *encourage* us to value-added to ourselves.
We have a small group (2-3 people) who interact with some training center, to carry out SUN's training courses, and thus, we can get exam voucher discounts. That's why my company can *sponser* us to take various exams.
But I do think ICED is a right vendor-specific certificate to get, as you can demostrate you know how to work with WebSphere, just like those MCSE, Oracle, and WebLogic certificates.
Nick

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

This really depends on the nature of the company, and how your boss
react
But I do think ICED is a right vendor-specific certificate to get, as you can demostrate you know how to work with WebSphere, just like those MCSE, Oracle, and WebLogic certificates.
Nick

Exactly Nick,
Depends on the Nature of the company.
In my company, my boss encourage us to be certificated thus in Sun�s certificate as vendor-specific, like WebLogic certificates.

Nicholas Cheung
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Yes. In addition, we cannot compare which is better than which, as some people asked before, as they totally fall into different aspect.
My company uses WebSphere together with Oracle, and thus, I go for ICED and OCP, but maybe, like you, some use WL and DB2 and thus go for other certs. Simply consider a cert. that suits your job, as well as the cost.
If you are interested in IBM exams, you may wait for IBM summer promotion. Last year, IBM gave free vouchers on Aug, as well as Nov. Honestly, I took IBM exams simply becos each of the exam costs me only 10 US, and I can claim it back.
IBM did this, I do think, becos she wants to expand the coverage of the WAS.
Nick

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Nick is right.
It depends on the company and also on your manager.
[ May 06, 2004: Message edited by: Vishwa Kumba ]

Eusebio Floriano
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Honestly, I took IBM exams simply becos each of the exam costs me only 10 US, and I can claim it back.
Nick

Why did the exame cost so cheap for you ???

Nicholas Cheung
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Please read this news:
http://www-1.ibm.com/certify/news/20031118a.shtml
However, the promotion ended on 31 Jan 2004.
Nick

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic