• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Oracle 10g certs for developers?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I've thought about getting Oracle certified a few times over the years, but I've never liked Oracle's certification program. It is confusing, and their Web site is no better.

There seem to be three levels of Oracle certs:
OCA (Oracle Certified Associate)
OCP (Oracle Certified Professional)
OCM (Oracle Certified Master)

That seems to be true for DBAs as well as Application Developers. Is that correct?

I'd like to get certified as a database developer on Oracle 10g, since it is the newest version. I'm interested in database topics like writing stored procedures, functions, triggers, etc. Like most people, I have no interest in "Forms".

At http://www.oracle.com/education/certification/certpaths.html I see 10g certification available for DBAs, but not for developers.

At http://www.oracle.com/education/certification/appdev9i_track.html I see 9i certification available as an "Associate", but if you want to get certified above that, you have to learn "Forms".

So I guess I would want to get the "Associate" certification, but that certs sucks. They describe it like this: "At this apprentice skill level, Oracle Associates have a foundation knowledge that will allow them to act as a junior team member". That's no good. I can't put that cert on my resume!

I'm confused. Does anybody know when the 10g DEVELOPER certs are coming out, or what the program will look like?

I don't think it makes any sense to get 9i certified when 10g is out, but I don't understand why there are no 10g certs available for developers.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I'm also looking forward this certification...

Unfortunately I don't have this information. For DBAs, the OCA 10g (1st level) covers almost all the topics of OCP 9g (2nd level), so, the OCP 10g (2nd level) is much more difficult.

I think the same will happen with Application Developer for 10g. I wish they could test us only on SQL, PL/SQL, and other database technologies for developers.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
One important point is, for OCP with 9i or higher, you must take a course offered by Oracle University before you get certified. Otherwise, even you passed all exams, you wont get the certification.

This is now the requirement for OCP 10g DBA and OCP 10g OAS.

Nick

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Nicholas Cheung:
One important point is, for OCP with 9i or higher, you must take a course offered by Oracle University before you get certified. Otherwise, even you passed all exams, you wont get the certification.

This is now the requirement for OCP 10g DBA and OCP 10g OAS.

Nick

So there is only one way to become Oracle Certified Professional with low cost option. That is OCP 9i(Developer Track).

Peter Sin
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Sorry, I forget the OCP 6i Developer is still available.

Nicholas Cheung
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

So there is only one way to become Oracle Certified Professional with low cost option. That is OCP 9i(Developer Track).

Yes.

At first, I wanna take OCA 10g OAS beta and OCP 10g OAS beta, but then I noticed that OCP 10g DBA is not enough for being OCP 10g OAS since I need to take a OAS related course.

And for OAS, there is only OCA 9i OAS, and thus, there is no upgrade exam to extemp the course requirement.

Nick

My cellmate was this tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic