• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

What next after SCJP2 ? SCJD ? SCEA ?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
What should one do after SCJP2 ? Whether SCJD or SCEA ? Many of the reviews I have read is SCJP and SCJA are the path to SCJD. That is because SCJA didnot (?) have EJB project / Essay questions. May be these were the views of the experts before the syllabus change for SCEA. It now includes vast topics of J2EE JSP, Servlets, EJB, UML, JDBC, JNDI, Name Spaces etc. If a person has to learn one / two topics is fine. But if one has to learn all of these from scratch then I feel the preferable path is SCJP->SCJD->SCEA. What do the experts feel ? Maha Anna, Ajith, Rosanne Zhang and all other experts please provide your views on this ? Any help appreciated.
Thanks

Bharatesh H Kakamari
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Sorry I left Marcus Green from the list.

Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I guess it depends on what you want to do professionally and personally.
The SCJP is a prerequisite for the SCJD. The SCJD has you do a programming project that uses the core Java APIs: very little J2EE-related stuff at all.
For the SCEA you must first pass an exam (analogous to the SCJP) and then do an architecture/design project.
So here are some questions to ask yourself.
Do I want to do a coding project or a design project?
How do these certifications relate to my current position? How do they relate to where I want to go?
Do I want to focus more on core Java or J2EE?
You may also want to check out this thread from this forum.
John

Bharatesh H Kakamari
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks for the reply. Yes the dream of everybody will be J2EE but isn't it yet a far off dream. I mean learning all the SCEA stuff from scratch. And all this to do in part time. Not in the office duration. And how looooong will it be that one will be perfect in all that is there for SCEA ? 6-7 months minimum is what I would assign the duration in part time, say 3-4 hrs per day. It could exceed if one happens to be busy with a project work in the office.
Yes of course these certifications would do a lot good to the current position but only after I attain them. In India the organizations do not give importance to the person's developments with respect to these certifications or higher studies but give priority to the project work assigned. One cannot blame them either for they are answerable to the clients for the delivery of the project.
So keeping all this in mind where do I stand ?

Bharatesh H Kakamari
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
And one more information. Can you also provide details of SCEA. What is analogous to SCJP exam ? Isn't it that we have to do the project first. I am not aware of this. So forgive for the dumb questions.

John Wetherbie
Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I don't think any of the questions you have asked are dumb.
If you don't know Enterprise JavaBeans yet and are not going to do them at work AND you are currently a developer then I would go for the SCJD first. If you know EJBs and are or will be an architect then go for SCEA. This will align your pursuit of a certification with what your company has you doing and hopefully they will help you out. Then get the other certification and you'll have the complete set.
This is the approach I am using. I obtained the SCJP first, because I look at it as the logical starting point. Since I am an architect the architect cert seemed the next logic step and then I will go after the SCJD.
Sun changed the architect cert this year from a single test to a general test, a project, and another test that deals with the project. The first test is analogous to the SCJP test while the project and project test are analogous to the SCJD. (Not in content but in process since you must pass the SCJP before proceeding to the SCJD.)
You can find more info about SCEA at Sun.
John

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hai ,
Do we need to have professional work experience to take the exam SCJA . will 6 months of experience enough .. does SUN has any specification on it..
Regards,
srini

John Wetherbie
Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Srini,
There are no prerequisites for the SCEA. In the post above yours there is a link to the Sun education site that describes the parts of the certification.
John

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
can somebody tell me that how much experience is required in general to do SCJD or SCJA
and i am more interested in SCJA i suppose...
can somebody tell me which one is better?
------------------
"Sun Certified Java Programmer"
KS
"Failing to plan is like plannig to fail!"

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi,
SCJA does not exist any more. The new certification is SCEA which is more practical and need depth knowledge of J2EE
Faisal

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic