• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Passed Part I with 87%

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I passed part 1 today with a score of 87%.
Sections were:
Concepts 100%
Common Architechtures 66%
Legacy Connectivity 80%
EJB 88%
EJB Container Model %100
Protocols 100%
Applicability of J2EE 100%
Design Patterns 80%
Messaging 100%
Internationalization 100%
Security 50%
I used a technique which I would recommend to others. When you go over a question where the correct answer does not jump out at you, write down ABCDE in a column on the scratch paper they give you (make sure they give you scratch paper and lots of it). If an answer could be correct put a check by it, if it is definitely not correct put an X by it. This allows you to dump clearly wrong answers right away and focus on the shades of "correctness" for the remaining. There were a lot of questions where one answers was "right" but another one was "more right."
You have 1:15 to complete the test. I used it all. I went through the test the first time with about 30 minutes to spare and marked any of the ones I wasn't totally certain about. The test engine allows you to mark any questions for later review. I used the remaining time to go back and have another look at the marked questions. The test engine has a "Review Marked" button that takes you back through just the marked questions. I did make changes to a number of them. Once I was done with the second pass I had enough time to make another quick pass through all questions to make sure I didn't do anything stupid.
Learn the answers to the mock questions supplied by Sun and make sure you understand the answers.
Overall the test adhered pretty closely to what I had studied. The objectives published by Sun and the information here is very accurate. I do recommend the Sun Study Guide, it covered a few things like protocols that are on the test and not covered concisely anywhere else.
I also took the Architect Fast Path at JavaOne. If you can do it then it will help you but you certainly don't have to do it to pass the test. Also the Fast Path also does *not* get you fully prepared in one day.
My Sources
---------
Sun's Study Guide
Arch Fast Path
Oreilly EJB Book
UML Distilled and Learn UML in 24 hours
Gof4 Design Patterns Book
Weatherbee Notes
JavaRanch
I would also say don't over-prepare. I only missed four questions out of 48. If I had studied for another month I don't think I would have done any better. I also think if I knew which questions I had missed I might be having a spirited arguement with Sun over the correctness of my answer right now.
Many thanks to the people here in this forum, you really were a great help to me. I'll try to provide what advice I can to people working on part I and I'll be asking for more help on part II.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Congrats and welcome to Part II

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
congrats for clearing the exam.
do u get the results on the spot like the JCP exam

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Robert,
Congrats for clearing the exam. I have a doubt. How long would it take normally for a person with 1 year j2ee exp. to clear part 1. Would 2 months of study sufficient?
Regrads
Durvasula

Robert Wright
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You get results on the spot, when you finish your exam report prints out and you get a copy right then.
I can't say for sure if two month's study is enough or not, it depends on a lot of things like how much time you put into and how fast a learner you are.
Go over the various areas in the exam and make up your own set of study notes. Get a clear assesment of your weak and strong areas. Just keep moving through the material again and again until you are satisfied that you know it.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Congrats and great score.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Robert,
Congrats. Among your sources, u mentioned Weatherbee Notes. What is that?
thanks,
sudu

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Congratulations!

Sheriff
Android IntelliJ IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
"Nicky"-
Welcome to the JavaRanch! Please adjust your displayed name to match the JavaRanch Naming Policy.
Particularly, it should be a first name <space> last name. You can change it here.
Thanks! and again welcome to the JavaRanch!

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic