• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Any updates to SCEA in the near future?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi all,
Are there any updates to SCEA in the near future?
If yes! Then what objectives will be affected?
Also, what to study in the current SCEA? (EJB 1.1 or 2.0)
Will the new EJB Certification (SCBCD) replace SCEA?

Thanks,
Mohammed

Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Are there any updates to SCEA in the near future?
If yes! Then what objectives will be affected?

The hearsay has it that the new version will be out in July. The objectives will be revamped to reflect J2EE1.4 specs, EJB2.0 spec and the new JSP and Servlet specs. Its my opinion that they will top it off with a few webservices and SOAP related objectives.

Also, what to study in the current SCEA? (EJB 1.1 or 2.0)

Since the current SCEA will remain as is, you should study just what is outlined in the objectives. Consensus says EJB2.0 questions are not being asked in the part I multiple choice test. However, you can use them( as long as you can justify their usage) in the part II assignment.

Will the new EJB Certification (SCBCD) replace SCEA?

NO! SCBCD is a new certification from Sun that has nothing to do with SCEA.

Ajith Kallambella
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
One more thing. When Sun introduces the new version of SCEA( whenever that is, ) they will also come up with a recertification test for current SCEA holders. So, you don't gain anything by waiting for the new test.

Mohammed Zahran
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks alot Ajith.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Ajith,
I've begun studying for the SCEA, but will wait until the new version is offered before registering to take the exam (and to later download the assignment).
Do you have a strong feeling that the new version will indeed be available in July? Will the new version go through a beta phase before being available as a live version?
I've sent similar questions to Sun Ed and have not received a reply. Are they reserved about giving out specific information regarding upcoming releases? If so, why?

Ajith Kallambella
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Erick Reid:
[QB]
Do you have a strong feeling that the new version will indeed be available in July? Will the new version go through a beta phase before being available as a live version?
QB]

We have had some discussions about the beta test but I can best classify them as hearsay. It is not official unless you hear from the horse's mouth. Sun always releases a beta test about 2-3 months before releasing the fullblown one. These betas are free and Sun offers free teaser vouchers so that test takers can provide them feedback about the overall quality. Since we haven't had any SCEA beta announcements, my guess is that it is not near the corner. I would treat such an announcement as the only indication of a new version to come.
Hope this helps!

Anonymous
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Ajith,
Thanks for the feedback and for the discussion link. It sounds like there is a while to wait before the 1.4 version will be live. There is a good deal to study for this certification, so that far off date will not be an issue.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
-------------------------------------------
One more thing. When Sun introduces the new version of SCEA( whenever that is, ) they will also come up with a recertification test for current SCEA holders. So, you don't gain anything by waiting for the new test.
--------------------------------------------
What will be (approximately) cost for that exam (recertification test ).

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Titu singh:
What will be (approximately) cost for that exam (recertification test ).

You will have to wait for Sun to announce this... I would expect it to be similar to the cost of SCEA Part 1.

Anonymous
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Ajith and Chris,
Help me out with this dilemma:
- I'd like to get the architect certification ASAP (not until having done in-depth study). The latest EJB and J2EE specs are 2.x and 1.4, respectively. So I should study these -- I do not have any EJB background, but have crafted distributed systems with other technologies.
- The current exam is based on EJB 1.1 and J2EE 1.2, right?
- SunEd replied to an inquiry I sent about release dates. They say that the new rev of the architect certification will not be out for another 12 months.
So here's the crux, and the item I'd really like feedback on: can I dig into EJB 2.x and J2EE 1.4 studies with the needed gusto, and still pass the current exam? or will there be EJB 1.1 and J2EE 1.2 assumptions made in the exam that my having put the new stuff to memory/learning will actually work against?
p.s. SunEd said the new SCBCD exam will be ready this August.
[ June 05, 2003: Message edited by: Erick Reid ]
[ June 06, 2003: Message edited by: Erick Reid ]

Ajith Kallambella
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Erick Reid:

So here's the crux, and the item I'd really like feedback on: can I dig into EJB 2.x and J2EE 1.4 studies with the needed gusto, and still pass the current exam? or will there be EJB 1.1 and J2EE 1.2 assumptions made in the exam that my having put the new stuff to memory/learning will actually work against?

Current version of SCEA does not cover EJB2.0 and J2EE 1.4 specs. For Part I, basic understanding of EJB1.1 is necessary and sufficient. For PartII, you may opt to make use of EJB2.0 features and facilities such as local EJBs, but that is entirely upto you. It is my understanding that overall evaluation of your assignment will not depend on use of( or lack of,) EJB2.0 and/or J2EE1.4 specs. Ofcourse if you know them, prove it in part II and part III.

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic