• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Showing iteration on sequence diagram

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
On a sequence diagram, I can put a guard on an arrow to indicate conditional or iterative execution. But what if the condition or iteration step requires a sequence of actions between the user and the system? How do I show this in a sequence diagram?

For example, suppose the user enters data to a form, and the front servlet checks it. If the data is invalid, the servlet forwards to the original JSP with errors highlighted for correction, and the user re-enters the data. This subsequence can happen repeatedly. If the data is good, the servlet processes the data and forwards to the next JSP. How do I show this on my sequence diagram?

Or should I just show the happy path, and add a note describing the extra steps that would have to be inserted in case the data is bad?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Frank,

Maybe you should look at the interaction frames within the sequence diagram?

About guards in sequence diagrams, 'UML Distilled' says: "UML 1 used interaction markers and guards. An interactive marker is a * added to the message name. You can add some text in square brackets to indicate the basis of the iteration. Guards are a conditional expression placed in square brackets and indicate that the message is sent only if the guard is true. While these notations have been dropped from the sequence diagrams in UML 2, they are still legal on communications diagrams."

Regards,
Dan

Frank Silbermann
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Dan Drillich:
Frank,

Maybe you should look at the interaction frames within the sequence diagram?

'UML Distilled' says: "UML 1 used interaction markers and guards. An interactive marker is a * added to the message name. You can add some text in square brackets to indicate the basis of the iteration. Guards are a conditional expression placed in square brackets and indicate that the message is sent only if the guard is true. While these notations have been dropped from the sequence diagrams in UML 2, they are still legal on communications diagrams."
Dan

I never heard of Interaction Frames, but I just did a web search and they look like just what I need. I hope my tool (Jude) is UML2 compliant.
[ August 12, 2004: Message edited by: Frank Silbermann ]

Dan Drillich
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Frank,

Interaction frames are indeed new to UML 2.

Regards,
Dan

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic