• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Component Diagram Controllers

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,

I have a question about the component diagrams and the Controllers. I believe that I fully understand how JSP's work with relation to the front Controller, but how should a Java Application connect to the system, through the same controller? Or should they have their own controller? I don't believe that a Java Application should connect directly to the EJB. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If I were to follow the example 8-7 on page 171 of Cade's book, would I simply have a component called Application connected to the Controller?

Thanks,
Mike

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Mike,

connecting java applications to the EJB-tier has been described in the blueprints. The front controller on the other hand is usually placed on the web tier -- I don't think you would like to connect java aplications through it.

HTH,
Harbo

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
A Java Application can connect to EJB directly or connect to web tier through java.net package, If you select the former, then need through BD and ServiceLocator to visit EJB. If you select the laster, I think you should use java.net package, If so the web tier front controler will be in effect. I hope I answer your question.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Mike,
You need to look at 4.4.2.2 of the Blueprints(Serving Multiple Client Types). I quote, " ... Each type of client needs its own controller, which specializes in the protocoles for that client type. A particular type of client may also need different presentation components for form factor or other reasons. ...".
There are a couple of figures (4.3, 4.4) that show a 'client' connecting to a 'controller' in sequence diagrams. I think this is a good idea for the assignment as you don't know much about the client at this stage.

hope this helps ...

Ray

Mike Hogeboom
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks for all your input guys! I will read the blueprints and follow what they recomments.

Thanks again,
Mike

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic