• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Part 2 Component Diagram

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,

I have a question about the component diagram on page 173 of Mark Cade's Book. Should the CustomerDAO depend on a subsystem like the two diagrams on the previous pages? Or are the subsystems only shown if they are part of other systems? For example if the Customer is in an Oracle DB the subsystem is not required, but if it was legacy system it would be shown.

Also, how do you draw the interface circles between the component and the subsystem in rational Rose?

any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Mike,
The CustomerDAO 'does not' depend on a subsystem like the other diagrams. This is because it is a brand new development for the case study, unlike the other two, which both link to existing systems. The CustomerDAO will link to its own (new) database. I suppose Cade's diagrams make an assumption that DAO's link to a local database system (not shown) unless they have links to external systems.

ray

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Mike,

I was not able to figure out the same in Rational Rose trial version. You can use UML's stereotype ('Interface') extension mechanism for this purpose.

Cheers,
Ravindra.

Mike Hogeboom
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks for your replies. Now I fully understand.

I was actually able to figure out how to add an inferface to a component diagram in Rational Rose. I created an interface on a "dummy" class diagram, opened my component digram, then dragged the interface from the left pane into my diagram.

Thanks again,
Mike

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Mike,

Can you tell me how Cade has represented components?

Is each JSP/EJB is a separate component ( in UML parlance)? or are they grouped together?
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic