• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

UML 2.0 question

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello all,

I have the following sequence diagram:

---getData---> DAO ----> this section is involved,
so I want to place it
in another diagram -----add row ----> ValueObject

What legitimate UML 2.0 symbol can I use to replace the wording between DAO and add row ?

I am using Enterprise Architect(EA) with UML 2.0. EA does not support the fragment type of ref.

Any ideas?

Thanks for any help at all.

-Saha

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Saha Kumar:
Hello all,

I have the following sequence diagram:

---getData---> DAO ----> this section is involved,
so I want to place it
in another diagram -----add row ----> ValueObject

What legitimate UML 2.0 symbol can I use to replace the wording between DAO and add row ?

I am using Enterprise Architect(EA) with UML 2.0. EA does not support the fragment type of ref.

Any ideas?

Thanks for any help at all.

-Saha

Saha,

If you are using UML 2.0, the best feature for this is using the 'ref' sentinel. If the EA does not support this feature, try to change your UML tool. I used the Borland Together Architect for my assignment. There is nothing that this tool can�t be, all the UML 2.0 features are supported.

If you prefer Rational Tools, use the RSA (Rational Software Architect) or the Rational Software Modeler. They are very good too.

Best Regards!

Saha Kumar
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Ricardo,

Thanks for the response. Is there a way to port the sequence diagrams to another product?

I have done significant work and already paid for Enterprise Architect(EA). If I decide to stay with EA, could I put:

ref CreateFlightTO

in a UML note, and then specify in the documentation why this was done?

Thanks in advance.

-Saha

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

ref CreateFlightTO

Why not? Before UML 2.0 people had to handle with this problen too. And where a notation or its implementing tool are not orthogonal there in my opinion you may and should use notes. Any antithesis by anybody?

Thomas

Ricardo Ferreira
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Ricardo,

Thanks for the response. Is there a way to port the sequence diagrams to another product?

I have done significant work and already paid for Enterprise Architect(EA). If I decide to stay with EA, could I put:

ref CreateFlightTO

Thanks in advance.

-Saha

Hey Saha,

Yes, you can export all of your work from EA to another UML tool. There is a common format for UML, called XMI. This format is interchangeable between many UML tools.

The EA can export for this format. Just right click in the Project Browser in you project, selects 'Import/Export', and choose 'Export Package to XMI'.

This will generate an distributable package for being reading by another XMI UML tool compliance. Since XMI is an OMG pattern, there will not be an problem find a tool that can recognize this format. As a said, try to use the Borland Together Architect, that's a great tool for UML and business modeling. And it can import from XMI format

Good Luck!

Saha Kumar
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks Thomas and Ricardo,

At this point I may use the UML note. Its good to know that EA can export its UML components. If I do change, I'll need this functionality.

-Saha

Thomas Taeger
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Ricardo, hi Saha, hi all,

Originally posted by Ricardo Ferreira:
Yes, you can export all of your work from EA to another UML tool. There is a common format for UML, called XMI. This format is interchangeable between many UML tools.

XMI at this moment only supports the interchange of the model, but not of the diagrams.

So after migrating from one tool to another via XMI your diagrams will be formally intact, but vusually destroyed - concerning the work to redraw all the edges ...

Adding also diagram interchangability will be the necessary step. But probabely the tool vendors fear people could then migrate too easily to a better tool ...

Originally posted by Ricardo Ferreira:
... try to use the Borland Together Architect, that's a great tool for UML and business modeling.

To be fair we also should note that it costs about 5.000,- EUR / $. There is an evaluation version available but only for a time period of two or three weeks, so one must hurry to get its exam ready. On projects I also allways try to use / introduce Borland Together Architect 2006.

Thomas

Saha Kumar
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hello All,

Fortunately, I have found a way to get the ref fragment type. Open up the sequence diagram that you want to contain the ref fragment. Then drag the sequence diagram (from the tree on the right) to be referenced onto the opened sequence diagram; drop it in the location where you want it.

Thanks to Thomas and Ricardo for the helpful information regarding uml tools, etc. Very good to know.

Regards,
Saha

Thomas Taeger
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hello Saha,

... way to get the ref fragment type. Open up the sequence diagram that you want to contain the ref fragment. Then drag the sequence diagram (from the tree on the right) to be referenced onto the opened sequence diagram; drop it in the location where you want it.

Thank you a lot, Saha, this experience could be very helpfull for me too!
And thank you for not just asking but also providing the solution here - that happens pretty seldom ... . What I also noticed was that you scanned all former topics before posting a question - very good style.

Thomas

Saha Kumar
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hello Thomas,

Glad I could help.

-Saha

Saha Kumar
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hello All,

I believe there are two ways that should both be used to separate the sequence diagrams for this project.

1) If there is a need to provide a detailed sequence diagram, use the fragment ref. This would work as follows: if you double click on the fragment ref symbol, it would replace the fragment ref symbol with the detailed sequence diagram.

2) In order to separate the PrepareItinerary UC from the PayItinerary UC (happy path and pay with credit card), use the continuation symbol (oval).

Please comment if you like.

-Saha

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic