• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

questions about fine/coarse grained calls.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hey folks ,

Just making sure that it's sounds correct please!!

SLSB - COARSE GRAINED CALLS
SFSB - COARSE GRAINED CALLS
EB - FINE GRAINED CALLS
MDB- NO CLIENTS

Does it sound correct?

Tks so much!!!

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Not sure about the context of your question but I don't think the granularity of calls has anything to do with the type of EJB. In general when you are making calls over the network (web service calls, remote ejb calls etc.) you want to design your APIs such that your calls will be coarse grained. Relating the idea to EJBs, since SLSB and SFSB are generally invoked over the network, it makes sense to design them with coarse grained operations. Some may argue that if your SLSB is local, fine grained calls may be okay but I discourage that practice because you never know when you may have to expose the ejb to remote client or as web service.

Same goes for Entity Beans. EBs are typically invoked by a "co-located SLSB" and because the underlying assumption is that an entity bean is NOT being invoked over the network it is okay to have fine grained operations on them.

The message: granularity depends (among other things) on whether you are making local or remote calls.

MDB - No Client: You don't write a client for an MDB - that's true, but the container (application server) is the client for your MDB. When a message arrives, the container invokes the MDB and passes the message on to it.

Steven Colley
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
HI Chintan ,

Yes, I totally agree with you!!

Tks ;-)

A lot of people cry when they cut onions. The trick is not to form an emotional bond. This tiny ad told me:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic