• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Discontinued SCEA exam - Received email from Prometric

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I received this email yesterday:

-----
Dear Gabriel

Thank you for registering for the Sun Certified Enterprise Architect for the Java Platform (310-051). Due to the new release of the SCEA 5, Sun will be discontinuing the existing exam (310-051, 310-300A, 310-061).

Please note that you will have until February 29th, 2008 to purchase your vouchers for 310-300A and 310-061. You will have until December 31, 2008 to complete all parts of this exam.

Also, you CANNOT combine Part 1, Part 2 or Part 3 of the SCEA (310-051, 310-300A, 310-061) exam with the existing new exam SCEA 5 (310-052, 310-301A, 310-062).

Thank you for your support. If you have any questions, please contact SUN, at who2contact@sun.com.

Sincerely,

SunCert@prometric.com
-----

All in all, I think it is somewhat unfair to us that had passed part I exam, for the following reasons:

1) To invest US $250 + US $200 + taxes in the Part 2 and 3 in a short period of one month. This is big money in some countries like where I live. In Argentina you need to add 21% because of taxes, which is a total cost of US $544,5.
2) For the ones like me that invested already in part I, there is no upgrade path from old part I to the new SCEA's part I, facing us with the decision of either pay _now_ for parts 2 & 3 or losing the time & money invested in old SCEA and take SCEA5 part I (again, spending $200 for this one). After all, part I is just an exam and Sun may just prepare an upgrade exam testing for the new concepts.

Just my 2 cents
Gabriel

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I totally agree with you!
I passed my part I and am working on part II at the moment, paid for it obviously. I haven't yet finished it but I see myself no obliged to already purchase the part III voucher.
Thanks for asking it and sharing the answer with us.

Marcel

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I am planning to take part 1 soon and asked the same question from sun and heres the reply...

> The customer that has purchased a voucher prior to the EOL date will
> have access to CX-310-300A and CX-310-061 until December 2008. It
> will not be sold, but will be available in the backend at Prometric
> for candidates to complete all three parts.
This means you will have to call us to purchase parts 2 and 3.
>
>
>
> Regards,

I would say just reply to the prometric email with above reference and ask them what if you have to resubmit the Assignment...??? where will you get the resubmission voucher from..will that be stoppage for you to become SCEA??

The only differene I see is the location, I am in US; does that really matter?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I'm gutted. I only passed part 1 about a week ago and I have just purchased the vouchers for parts 2 and 3. Does this mean that I only have ONE chance to get the assignment right?

Pav Arora
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I DO NOT think so. Please call
Sun training - (800) 422-8020

and share their reply here.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I have also got the same mail. I can't believe that sun has changed the
examination pattern so much that the person who has given part I of one
exam can't appear for another.

This also means that, if by any chance I miss to buy voucher by feb 29,
I have to do double investment: buy vouchers all over again from part I,
buy new books for the new exam

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi, all, I just called Sun ED hot line. They told me I have to buy the Part II and III by Feb 29, 2008. For the failed assignment in case, they could provide internal access for re-submit by Dec 31, 2008.

Pav Arora
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Just called Sun again with the same question(If we can buy Part 2 and part 3 after Feb 29). The answer was YES and the guy said there is a special team which works with all the voucher things but those won't be available online and you would have to call us to buy part 2 and part 3.

This is the second time I am getting the same reply from Sun.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I just hope you're right about being possible to buy a voucher after feb 29th. Here in Brazil is almost impossible to buy a voucher lately, it's taking months. And I'm pretty sure I have no chance of buying these vouchers until the 29th.

One thing that I was wondering though, is how exactly can they know your voucher is for any of the SCEA exams. Since a voucher is usually for any exam starting with 310, what would stop me from calling Sun after feb 29th asking for a voucher for a SCJP exam and then applying for a SCEA test in a prometric center?
Unless they restrict vouchers by their expiration date: prometric only allowing vouchers made before feb 29th for SCEA exams.

Anyway, It's been a couple of weeks since I passed part one, and I do not want to start all over again.
The problem is, like I said, Sun here in Brazil is taking weeks to send you just the bank slip you have to pay in order to receive the voucher. And then you have to wait a couple of more months for the voucher itself arrive via mail.

Wish me luck, guys.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hello Ranchers

I already have 310-300A and correct me if I'm wrong, but You can register for essay exam (310-061) with standard Sun 310 voucher. You simply select exam on prometric.com and register for it using Your 310 voucher.
So basically - we have time until end of December to complete SCEA.

Ursus

Rodrigo Uchoa
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Piotr Uryga:
Hello Ranchers

I already have 310-300A and correct me if I'm wrong, but You can register for essay exam (310-061) with standard Sun 310 voucher. You simply select exam on prometric.com and register for it using Your 310 voucher.
So basically - we have time until end of December to complete SCEA.

Ursus

Like I said before, what if prometric is aware of this fact and restrict scheduling of any SCEA exam to vouchers submmited before feb 29th? That's what I would like to know. If they don't do that, they have no way of knowing which exam you got your voucher for, and we could still buy it until december without any rush.

chris snow
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
My response from Sun:

The 310-300R assignment resubmission is available for purchase until December 31, 2008.

You do not need to retake the 310-061 essay exam is you need to resubmit your assignment.

Your assignment and the essay exam are graded together; therefore, taking the essay exam as soon as possible after submission of your assignment will expedite the scoring process.

The scoring process typically takes approximately four to six weeks from the date you take your essay exam. The scoring process does not need to be completed before the December 31, 2008 deadline. You only need to complete the assignment and essay by this date.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
All,
Any clues?
Java 2 SCEA was to be available for purchase till FEB 29. Its still not end of day on 29 FEB 2008 today.
Please note that this link is not available at 7.30pm PST and 10.30 pm EST.
http://www.sun.com/training/catalog/courses/CX-310-300A.xml
http://www.sun.com/training/catalog/courses/CX-310-061.xml
Have posted a note to SUN.
Hope to receive some assistance in few days.
Any thoughts , or info by anyone wouldbe very helpful and appreciated.
Thanks
KB

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
So, can I take the exam of part I (310-051) of old SCEA on this April, 15th, 2008?

After that I can complete part II & III of old SCEA before Dec, 31th, 2008.

Thanks,
Long
[ March 04, 2008: Message edited by: Long Ng ]

Kumudini Bhave
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hello,
I was able to buy the voucher for Java 2 SCEA by calling SUN on their contact no. Though it wasnot smooth as not all of the team member sin the training/certification dept knew about the fact that vouchers could be bought over the phone even after 29 Feb.
I could get through this and buy it after making 3 calls. Two of them were eager to inquire about it and one of them just reluctant and hanged down .
However I am happy I was able to buy and would say that all those ewho aspire to take this exam please call SUN . I am not sure how long they would continue to do this. I bought this on last Friday and received the email for downloading assignment just yesterday.
The lady at SUN said they would continue for a couple of days more.
So check it out with SUN. Good Luck!

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic