• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

How different is HeadFirst

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Kathy,
I have been writing EJB's in my third J2EE project and have read Ed Roman,
O'reilly and I have been through the sample chapters of HeadFirstEJB, I should say the visuals are amazing and it helps quite a lot for someone new to EJB in grasping things fast as humans by nature can relate to visuals more than text. I have prepared for my SCBCD and iam waiting desperately for this book to hit the stands as i want to go through it once before i appear for the exam(hopefully i should bag a copy in this forum...).
How differently have you covered the specs and other trivial aspects from the above mentioned books. Can we say that it is covered only for the SCBCD exam or does it takes into account some real-life case study based scenarios..
Rishi

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I am sure the book has the Head first principles(After all its a head first series book,isnt it) like Attention grabbing techniques,Telling stories and narrating them visually thereby making the learning process,a enjoyable affair.
As far the coverage,I believe,the main objective of the book,would be to explain you the core concepts and make you pass the SCBCD in flying colours.
For the real-life case study,I would vouch for petstore

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Rishi -
I'd say that if you made up a long detailed list of "topics covered", you would discover that the 3 books overlap a lot. In the last few days there have been quite a few posts on this topic, so you might want to look those over, but in a nutshell, HF EJB has two goals (Kathy might "update" my list ),
1- An intro to EJBs. In general, the idea of a Head First book is to focus on the key concepts that are necessary to really GET a technology. We purposefully leave out less important topics so that we can focus on the key stuff. We want our readers to finish our books feeling like they really understand the topic. Maybe not ALL the details, but the core, important ideas. If you really get the basics, you can pick up the details easily as you need them. (All the pro athletes constantly return to the fundamentals season after season!)
2 - An SCBCD certification guide. Normally we prefer not to have two goals, but our feeling is that the SCBCD exam does a pretty good job of focusing on the same topics that we feel are fundamental, so in this case we thought we could do a good job of supporting both goals.

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic