This week's book giveaway is in the Java 8 forum.
We're giving away four copies of Java 8 in Action and have Raoul-Gabriel Urma, Mario Fusco, and Alan Mycroft on-line!
See this thread for details.
The moose likes Developer Certification (SCJD/OCMJD) and the fly likes Mandatory Course Requirement for OCMJD & OCMJEA starting October 1st Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login

Win a copy of Java 8 in Action this week in the Java 8 forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Certification » Developer Certification (SCJD/OCMJD)
Bookmark "Mandatory Course Requirement for OCMJD & OCMJEA starting October 1st" Watch "Mandatory Course Requirement for OCMJD & OCMJEA starting October 1st" New topic
Author

Mandatory Course Requirement for OCMJD & OCMJEA starting October 1st

Brian Burress
Ranch Hand

If someone does or has started some sort of group outside of the ranch for this, please post it here. I obviously put off working for my next cert way too long and am pretty much on the same page as everyone else - I have no clue what Oracle's purpose would be other than to try to kill the certifications.

As a side question, any chance we could see a "Java Ranch Certified Programmer", "Java Ranch Certified Developer", ... any time soon ;)
Roel De Nijs
Bartender

Brian Burress wrote:If someone does or has started some sort of group outside of the ranch for this, please post it here.

Don't quite understand what you talking about here

SCJA, SCJP (1.4 | 5.0 | 6.0), SCJD
http://www.javaroe.be/
Brian Burress
Ranch Hand

Roel De Nijs wrote:
Brian Burress wrote:If someone does or has started some sort of group outside of the ranch for this, please post it here.

Don't quite understand what you talking about here

Sorry, I was commenting on the prior post:

Roel De Nijs wrote:I don't think JavaRanch will start a poll concerning this, but you are of course free to start some facebook group or take some action on twitter or ...

If someone has started a facebook group or something else, post a link or comment about it here so those interested may participate.
Alexander Sales
Ranch Hand

Practicality wise. OCMJD or i5 Laptop? both cost 1000USD.

OCPJP 6, OCEWCD Java EE 6
Mike Smyth
Greenhorn

I'm not sure my work would pay for a new laptop for me ;-)

I've been asked to look into this from my work as a few of us have recently done our programmer exams. From looking at the certification paths and courses it seems that ultimately I still have to do one of the fundamentals courses. Initially I thought I may just be able to do the Java SE 7 New Features course or the Java SE Performance Tuning course but each of these courses have pre-requisites of another course. This can mean the difference of paying $900 or $2250 and the courses vary in length and this time would also have to be paid for. Also from what I can see, the self study CDs do not count so I would need to either do Live virtual teaching or classroom.

Anyone have any advice on this, has anyone here actually done a mandatory course looking towards Developer certification?
Roel De Nijs
Bartender

Mike Smyth wrote:Anyone have any advice on this, has anyone here actually done a mandatory course looking towards Developer certification?

I think this thread contains some valuable information.
Mike Smyth
Greenhorn

Roel De Nijs wrote:
Mike Smyth wrote:Anyone have any advice on this, has anyone here actually done a mandatory course looking towards Developer certification?

I think this thread contains some valuable information.

thanks for that. I also got a reply from Oracle saying something similar. I'm looking at the Java tuning course as a possibility

I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools

subject: Mandatory Course Requirement for OCMJD & OCMJEA starting October 1st