wood burning stoves 2.0*
The moose likes Bunkhouse Porch and the fly likes You Choose the Head First Cover--essays Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Books » Bunkhouse Porch
Reply locked New topic
Author

You Choose the Head First Cover--essays

Mikalai Zaikin
Ranch Hand

... and if you decide to put the L: Pink Shirt Arms Overhead girl on the cover, I anticipate that our wives would like to master Design Patterns too, because "... if that girl can learn it, why I can't master these Design Patterns ?!?! "

Free SCDJWS 5.0 Study Guide - SCDJWS 5.0 Quiz (How to get SCDJWS 5.0 Quiz)
Java Platform, Enterprise Edition 6 Web Services Developer Certified Expert Exam Study Guide and Quiz
Mikalai Zaikin
Ranch Hand

One of the possible situations :

Mikalai Zaikin
Ranch Hand

Another possible situation:

Barbara Norway
Ranch Hand

I need an emoticon for *blushing*. I think I'm too young to be reading some of these posts. Or possibly some of these guys need to get out more

Whoa, man.

[still at work, waiting for my Snort stuff to compile what's snort you ask?

farmkitty
angelo celeste
Ranch Hand

First of all, I would like to compliment the person(s) who came up with this great Marketing Campaign!

From what I have seen there are many winners.

The way I would approach it, and I am not sure if any one else has used this idea or not, is I would like to see 4 people on the cover, 2 male and 2 female.
These folks would represent the 4 authors of the book. Not quite sure which 4 since they all look good to me, so I would leave that choice up to the authors (Elisabeth Freeman, Eric Freeman, Bert Bates and of course Kathy Sierra).

Sounds like a Pattern to me!

Regards,
Angelo
Jeff Fisher
Greenhorn

I'm a COBOL/DataStage programmer who was recently offered an opportunity to join the Java team at my work. I feel fortunate to enter the field during the "Head First" era.
I definitely feel the choice should be C. He's got the same look on his face that I've gotten many times while reading Head First Java. It's the "Oh!" look. The "Aha! Now that makes sense" look. The pre-Eureka look that Archimedes got in his bathtub when his mind first grasped the buoyancy principle, right before he ran down the street naked in his exuberance. That's when he got the pained, teeth-chattering dang-it's-cold-out-here look.
The goal of the book's authors is to plaster that look on the faces of Java developers across the land. By using the "Oh!" guy on the cover, you will advertise the book's purpose. You will show the reader what they will look like after reading it. "Begin with the end in mind" - I think I read that on a fortune cookie somewhere.
But please don't use A:Flower Girl. We guys need to be able to concentrate.
V Srinivasan
Ranch Hand

Design Pattern, in a strict sense, A, E, F and P are somewhat connected, rest are all merely plain.
A. Flower Girl - colorful different objects one upon another giving a soothing emotional impact, exactly fits into Design Pattern paradigm.
E. Blonde with Stripes - Each stripe not related to another, not in conjunction with the Design Pattern.
F. Plaid guy - Checked - lots of intersections, not good example of Design Pattern.
P. Biker Couple - very loosely connected.

So, finally I vote for A. Flower Girl.

Thanks

V. Srinivasan

Eric Freeman
author
Ranch Hand

Gian Franco
blacksmith
Ranch Hand

I would like to choose P: Biker Couple... again.

Mrs. Biker: Baby, what do you see in me
Mr. Biker: Oh darling, I see in you the
spring in your eyes, your hair in the wind like
waving fields of corn reaching for the red
glowing sun on the horizon, your sweet voice
sounds to me like a lullaby of forgotten
childhood years...
Mrs. Biker: Ok, what do you need...
Mr. Biker: Ehm , can I go out with
the gang?
Mrs. Biker: Always, the same pattern
(when is he going to propose )

...to be continued...

Cheers,

Gian Franco Casula

"Eppur si muove!"
Kathy Sierra
Cowgirl and Author
Ranch Hand

OK folks, the contest is officially *closed*!

Y'all sure showed off your creative side here

Stay tuned for the results!

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.

subject: You Choose the Head First Cover--essays