• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

J2EE 1.3 vs. 1.4 vs. 1.5 - SCBCD

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello ranchers!
I know you may have been asked this a zillion times...
Although I have never worked with EJB, I'm currently studying for the SCBCD. My idea is to get the knowledge and take the exam in order to compete for EJB junior programmer jobs.
In my road, I cannot help thinking that J2EE 1.3 is a little old fashioned to the date, essentially when the 5.0 version is out there on the street.
My question is my fellow ranchers, is this 1.3 learning process going to help me understand the 1.4 & 1.5 versions, or am I wasting my time? Is the exam worth taking?

Best regards desde Madrid amigos!

XM (Also known as Marx)

Ranch Hand
Hibernate Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
There will be companies still for a while using the older versions of Java EE (we're using 1.3 in our office, for instance). So in that respect, there will still be jobs doing maintenance and some new development, even if the spec is "outdated". In that respect, it's probably still worth learning it.

The process for updating the SCBCD is just starting, with apparently an eye towards releasing a new exam in the first quarter of next year. So if the idea of your learning is to learn the latest and greatest, you can start now and be ready for the new one in a few months when it's released.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I agree with Theodore. I've been on this board for over a year and I see quite a bit of "should I take the current version or wait". I had this problem with SCJP 1.4 over 5. I ended up taking the 1.4 exam because there were more study materials available (The K&B book for 5 came out the week after I took the exam). I also feel that picking my spot to "go for it now" would get me that much closer to taking the advance exams. Looking back, I made the right decision. I plan on taking the SCDJWS and then the SCEA. At that point, I'll be well positioned to take whatever upgrades are generated between now and then (Starting with SCJP 5). I will also have more knowledge having been through the study process twice and knowing some history behind the technology. If I had waited a couple of months to study the K&B 5.0, I wouldn't be as far as I am now.

HTH

Marx Villegas
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thank you guys, I appreciate your comments.
I'm also on my road to taking the SCEA, and I think I'll be taking the SCBCD in a couple of weeks. I'm also wondering, in the assignment for the SCEA can one use any of the J2EE versions, or is that test married to the 1.3 version? (I guess that question should belong to the SCEA forum)
Regards!
XM

Theodore Casser
Ranch Hand
Hibernate Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
It does belong there, yeah, but since you asked here - the answer is no. You can use any Java EE edition that's been generally released for the Part II project, not just 1.2 (which the Part I exam is written towards).

Marx Villegas
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks a lot Theodore,
Best regards from Madrid
XM

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic