• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Frustration

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I am currently preparing for the SCBCD 1.3 exam using HFEJB and plan to make a shot on it before end of June but am being more and more frustrated on all the small details I have to memorize. How would it be possible to remember all these details? And if the exam want to confuse them who not have really MEMORIZED all the pity details would it be really, really easy to come up with tough questions.

I am reading HFEJB for my second time now with memorizing as the first goal this time instead of learning and I have not tried how prepared I am yet by take of there mock exam questions in the end of each chapter and the mock exam in appendix A. But this topic https://coderanch.com/forums/ indicates that the exam is at least not THAT nasty in their questions and expect that you have memorized more or less every detail. The problem is that I don�t know how much I have to prepare before I have made a shot on the real exam and I don�t want to pass the first time!

Could any of you that have passed the exam give some comfort please? Do we that are preparing really have to not just understand everything but also memorize it?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
No need od memorize. For exxample, the question will be like what are the methods from EJBContext can be accessed by call back methods. No need to memorise. Just ask yourself, when the setSessionContext() will be called and what it's purpose..like this for each and every call back methods ask yourself when and what situation it will be called.
In Head First Ejb, for every methods they have given digrammatic way to understand and it will be very useful in understaing the concept rather than to memorize

Jonny Andersson
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Well, the book, HF EJB, indicates at several pages that things need to be memorized and that the exam tries to confuse you in its questions and if that is true are there so many small details so learn and memorize. But I don�t know how sadistic, as one of my colleagues expressed it, the questions is before I have been at the real exam. When the examiner is a computer are there no chance to get any kind "well, he have at least understood it" points. There is just right or wrong.

SCJP that I did three years ago were somewhat "sadistic" but code syntax scares me less than subtle semantic that I feel is harder to memorize. And that makes me a bit frustrated

But I think you are somewhat right, just memorizing is not the way to go. I try myself as often as possible to find out why the different rules and semantic works as it does because it is easier to remember things you really understand why they are as they are. And yes, I also think that the diagrams is important because pictures sometimes are easier to remember than just text. And I have tried to create a little test program for most of the things, the different bean types, included in the exam to have something concrete and working to refer to when I try to remember how it works. This is the way I try to help myself memorize.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic