• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

I need some Study Advise

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,

I am new to this forum and preparing for SCWCD 1.4 certification. I have studied Head First book twice. I did couple of mock tests and my score is not very impressive. I still feel I need to study a bit more for higher score. Please advise where should I go from here. I am willing to buy new books etc.

Please help.

Regards,

Vikas

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Why buy more books, just code, code, code especially with the subjects with which you have trouble. That will help you more than all the books and mock exams you can buy

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi,

Did you do the final mock exam of HFSJ ?

If yes, how much did you score ?

Best of luck ?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Get enthuware.

Michael Ku
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
flybuzz, please read this

http://www.javaranch.com/name.jsp

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I would think that reading HFSJ book twice is all that you need for the certification... That book is aimed for SCWCD certification right?

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

just code, code, code especially with the subjects with which you have trouble.

I totally agree, this is an essential part of becoming an SCWCD which means you can actually apply your knowledge and not just rote-learn the APIs and lifecycles. There's absolutely no point in claiming to have SCWCD skills with a certificate if you can't build a Web application for an employer/client!

That will help you more than all the books and mock exams you can buy

That's not quite accurate: it will certainly helps loads and is vital, but if when doing the code you find there's something you really don't understand and your book(s) or resource(s) don't cover it (in a way you understand at least), then it may be sensible to buy further resources. After all, the cost of books is much less than the cost of the exam and you're getting a wealth of knowledge in there. Also, being able to code a Web app doesn't make you proficient at answering exam questions in the style they're set, so that's really a different game (where mock exams are extremely helpful).

Michael Ku
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Well Charles, you do have a vested interest in promoting that opinion on more books. Seems like a conflict in interests...

The starter of this thread already has a book, a book that is generally regarded as the best on the subject and was written by 2 people that helped write the exam. The questioned asked was where to go from here after reading this book. So it was given from the start that a book was used and was valuable.
[ October 24, 2007: Message edited by: Michael Ku ]

Tony Smith
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Michael Ku:
flybuzz, please read this
http://www.javaranch.com/name.jsp

I know the naming rule. I now figuered out why my profile keeps changing my name without my knowledge. If you click on my profile to make any changes, Publicly Displayed Name is always switched automatically to Login Name. So you have to change it everytime you click on my profile to make changes. It's annoying.

Charles Lyons
Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Well Charles, you do have a vested interest in promoting that opinion on more books. Seems like a conflict in interests...

Although that is true, I think you missed my point. I was saying that coding is completely necessary (i.e. I agreed with you), but you cannot say that another book would definitely not be valuable as you implied. I also raised this point here. Maybe another book wouldn't be useful to you and that is your recommendation which is great, but it may be that the original poster has doubts even after reading HFSJ or wants to learn more in depth, in which case another book (note I didn't specify which one) may be appropriate for them. You'll note I also promoted the efficient use of mock exams and not just books...

So it was given from the start that a book was used and was valuable.

Yes, but one book doesn't have to be enough. I know people who have purchased a complete beginners book on the subject and worked through it, then moved on to two separate cert books and gained different perspectives from each which was helpful, then moved on to mock exams - all while coding examples to demonstrate all those key points. It took them many months but they came out knowing the instant answers to nearly every question which could possibly be asked. They just felt that, for them, the certification was about truely understanding everything in depth and they (personally) could not get that from just one resource whatever that one single resource might have been.

At risk of a flame war beginning, I end my point on recommendations vs. authoratitive views there and ask that everyone keep an open mind and find what works for them.

Michael Ku
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

That will help you more than all the books and mock exams you can buy

Emphasis on more

That's it for me - no more...

PS - your opinion would have more of an air of legitimate concern if you would remove the sales information from your signature when commenting on the need for books and study guides.
[ October 25, 2007: Message edited by: Michael Ku ]

Sheriff
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

I now figuered out why my profile keeps changing my name without my knowledge.

Tony, please check your private messages about this issue.

Rancher
Android Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Michael can you check your PMs please?

Dave

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic