• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

SCWCD5

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello Ranchers,

I'd like to take the SCWCD5 - exam, can anyone tell me of HFSJ is enough to pass this exam please ?
HFSJ is dated from 2004 and we're now 2008.

The only difference between 310-081 & 310-083(SCWCD5) I see is that the passing score is increased from 64% to 70% is that correct ?

But I don't know why the time-limit is increased heavily to 3:15u.
Is this exam (310-083) so difficult then ?

Also has anyone a simulator (free or commercial one) to test 310-083? For the moment I only found the whizlabs and JWebplus from Enthuware but this test 310-081 & 310-082.

I would like to pass from the first time.

Any comment nd help would be really appreciated.

Thanks guys !

Greeeeetz
Christophe

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Christophe,

I would go under the assumption that SCWCD 5 is the same as SCWCD 1.4, other than the name and code of the exam CX-310-081 to CX-310-083), and changed passing criteria for the exam (score and time limit have gone up). This thread has some useful info:
https://coderanch.com/t/176523/java-Web-Component-SCWCD/certification/Useful-info-SCWCD

So, my guess is that you are safe using your HFSJ copy to prepare for SCWCD5... And by the way: the new exam for SCJP has undergone a similar "cosmetic" operation (with only Navigable and Console added to the objectives).

Having said this, I've noticed there is a second edition of HSFJ coming up (in March 2008):
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596516680/

I actually wonder what the purpose of this second edition is, given the minor (and apparantly misleading) changes in the SCWCD 5 objectives, and the fact that the O'Reilly page gives exactly the same info as for the first edition! Only from the book's new cover, I can see that there is a new mock exam (why?).

I think O'Reilly would much better invest in an second edition of Head First EJB, since the EJB spec (EJB 3) in Java EE 5 has changed dramatically compared to J2EE 1.4, and has made the first edition seriously outdated (though still good for people working in a pre-Java EE 5 environment)! There is a genuine need out there for a new edition of this otherwise excellent exam prep book, and I can't see (other than maybe the author's lack of time) why O'Reilly has been waiting for so long to come up with one...

Cheers,
Yves

Sheriff
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

I actually wonder what the purpose of this second edition is

It's a good timing to clear the actual errata, and to add the author's tutorial on dynamic attributes.

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic