• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Any Samples on documentation ?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Are there any sample readme.txt and design.txt for the SCJD. Please let me know. I do not want to be too different than others if lots of you have followed some common pattern.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hey Rajesh:
I do not know it is a common pattern or not. The following was the contents at the top in my README.txt file.
Contents:
---------
*THE VERSION OF JAVA(TM) 2 SDK, STANDARD EDITION, AND PLATFORM USED
*INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO EXECUTE THE PROGRAM
*THE LOCATION OF DATABASE FILE
*THE LOCACTION OF DESIGN CHOICES DOCUMENT
*A LIST OF FILES SUBMITTED HEREWITH
Then I described above them as a subtitle, what are they? how to execute? and where are they? That is all.
Good luck. -Bal

Rajesh Matti
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Bal - Thanks a lot friend. I have one silly question, we need to submot one jar file (may contain nested jars) right ?. I may assume that they will know to unjar it , correct ?. This jar file will contain other jars and documentation.

Bal Sharma
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hello Rajesh:
Do not assume them they know it? I know they know it. If anything goes wrong who is the victim? WE not them? Why to take a risk? so I gave them all baby steps what to do and how to do? May be it is dumb and stupid, under estimating their expertise. Mine was as below:
INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO EXECUTE THE PROGRAM
------------------------------------------
Open a MS DOS window, unjar the application filename scjdaXXXXXXXXXXX.jar as described below and press ENTER:

[drive]:\>jar -xf scjdaXXXXXXXXXXX.jar
This will create the scjdExam folder. Change the directory to scjdExam folder. At [drive]:\> cd scjdExam press ENTER. At this point your location is [drive]:\scjdExam>_. This is the application location.
What Will Be Seen In The Root Of The scjdExam Folder:
----------------------------------------------------
There are two jar files; "server.jar", and "client.jar." In addition to these two jar files, there are two subfolders named "suncertify" and "docs." Other files in this [drive]:\scjdExam folder are "db.db", "my.policy", and "README.txt."
HOW TO RUN APPLICATION ON LOCAL MODE:
-------------------------------------
Type following command and press ENTER:
[drive]:\scjdExam>java -jar client.jar
blah, blah, blah
I did not do super, I had 90% and it was above than my exception.
Hope it helps. -Bal

Rajesh Matti
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Bal -
I really appreciate your answer. Now I am cleared to go ahead. Thanks a bunch friend.
-Rajesh

Rajesh Matti
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Bal - Did you assume that they were going to use windows or windows like OS ?. Your sample document gave me that feeling. Let me know.
-Rajesh

Bal Sharma
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Rejesh:
I was not sure what they goanna use. They might have lot of resources but I don't. So, I mentioned only what I did and what I had. I did not care how did they grade me? My first line in my README.txt was as below:
The platform used for the development of this assignment is Windows Millennium [version 4.90.3000]. This application has been developed and tested in Windows Millennium and found to work properly in this environment. This environment has three drives, the C:\> hard drive, the E:\> Compact Disk drive, and the A:\> Floppy drive. This application has been written and tested in the C:\> drive. The developer student did not have access to another computer to launch and test this application to determine platform compatability.
Who cares what they use? I care what I use. Platform compatability was not a requirement. So, why should I take more headache?
Did I answer your question? Does it help? -Bal

Rajesh Matti
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Bal- Fantastic. I agree with you and you did answer my questions and got me going....
Thanks,
-Rajesh

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic