• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Need your opinion on SCJD

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello All,
This is my first post in this SCJD forum and I htought maybe I can post a question here and ask your opinion see what you think.
I am planning to appear for SCJD and I have around 2 years of experience with Java, JSP and Servlets.
I have read tutorials and articles on Swing, Threads, Sockets, RMI, IO and NIO but I am no expert in any of these. I also have gone through Max Habibi's book for SCJD 1.4. I have wrote small programs on swing, threads etc but in none of my project I have ever tried to use all these together. I believe SCJD in bring all these together using one of the design patterns. Do you guys think I should practice more on coding and then download the assignment or I should download the assignment first and then keep practicing on that assignment. I would prefer the later part but I just wanted to know your opinion on where do I proceed from here.
Thanks in advance.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Well, you have already shown that you known java, so my advice would be to go for it. After all you have an unlimited time to submit if you decide that you need "more experience", but I'd guess that if you've read Max's book and understood that then you're ready to go for it. After all, you can use the exam as something to focus your learning around.
Good luck,
Steve.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Mike,
As you have read a lot on those related technologies, I think you should pay and download the assignment, so that you have some idea on what you need to do with SCJD.
In fact, there is no time limit on finishing the assignment, thus, you have no need to worry about, how long I need to submit my assignment after the download, etc.
Good luck on your SCJD.
Nick

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Mike - I would say go for it and attempt the assignment. Before my SCJD experience, I had never done any real world work with Swing, AWT, threading or RMI. I had previous java experience with web components, but nothing in the specific SCJD areas. I had not even done much reading on the GUI stuff or threading (other than what was needed to pass SCJP).
I successfully worked through the assignment using Max's book and the forum.
Good luck if you go for it! I just can't say enough good things about this forum. It really helped me.
TJ

Jay Ashar
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thank you guys for your replies. I will go ahead and download the assignment from sun and start designing the project.
Any idea how do I proceed with the design phase? like should I decide the GUI design first? or should I design the overall architectural design?
reason I am asking this question is because I was referring to Habibi's book and it covers Threading and Networking chapters first and then goes to GUI section, I found that bit confusing.
Thanks all.

ranger
Mac IntelliJ IDE Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Well there is no hard rule on where to start first. Sometimes what feels comfortable for you is where to start. The one thing about OOP is that you can start from the bottom-up or from the top-down. You can start coding, but then realize that you will have to do a lot of refactoring down the road, which some people feel more comfortable with.
Personally I started with the Server and the data access, then did the GUI at the end, but that was my preference.
Mark

Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Mike,
AFAIK, most people start with the database layer, then add the business and presentation (GUI) layers in stand-alone mode, before making the whole stuff networked.
Regards,
Phil.

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic