• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

URLyBird 1.1.3: Functionality Doubts...

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I've some basic doubts regarding URLyBird assignment.

1. Can a CSR add a "new" record into the DB? OR he can just BOOK\DELETE a record from db file?
The URLyBird instructions does not talk about this, but i feel its logical and much needed functionality. I've received a DB file which has about 30 records. If we don't implement the addNewRecord then we'll always be playing with those 30 records only. (Yes, I know I can create my own db file for testing)

2. Can a CSR add new name of the hotel?
Do we have to implement a functionality where a CRS can add/remove/modify different Hotels/Locations/Rate?
If not, then is it a good idea to use combo boxes on GUI to select the Hotel/location ?
Then my next Q would be, getting all the possible values from DB all the way to GUI to fill the combo boxes... is that a good idea?

3. 48 hours rule seem to be interesting. I browsed through the related topics here but there are no consensus whether to implement this at client side or server side.
I think I'll implement in db interface side to make the DB safe in case if they expect the DB to handle this for some other future client. Document the same.
Also its not difficult to also have the logic in GUI. So that my validation need not pass all the way back to the server. So if the date is in the not acceptable range, request can be discarded upfront.

What do you think, folks?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Swapnil,

my assignment is URLyBird 1.1.3 too.
So here are my thoughts regarding your doubts/questions.

1. Can a CSR add a "new" record into the DB? OR he can just BOOK\DELETE a record from db file?
The URLyBird instructions does not talk about this, but i feel its logical and much needed functionality. I've received a DB file which has about 30 records. If we don't implement the addNewRecord then we'll always be playing with those 30 records only. (Yes, I know I can create my own db file for testing)

I do not think this is needed. The requirements state CSRs must be able to book (and thus update) a room.
  • If the instructions don't require you to do it, don't do it.
  • CSRs sale accomodations to customers. They are not responsible for getting new accomodations.

• 2. Can a CSR add new name of the hotel?
    Do we have to implement a functionality where a CRS can add/remove/modify different Hotels/Locations/Rate?
    If not, then is it a good idea to use combo boxes on GUI to select the Hotel/location ?
    Then my next Q would be, getting all the possible values from DB all the way to GUI to fill the combo boxes... is that a good idea?

I don't think we have to supply such functionality. Again CSRs are not responsible maintaining a hotel's master data.

3. 48 hours rule seem to be interesting. I browsed through the related topics here but there are no consensus whether to implement this at client side or server side.
    I think I'll implement in db interface side to make the DB safe in case if they expect the DB to handle this for some other future client. Document the same.
    Also its not difficult to also have the logic in GUI. So that my validation need not pass all the way back to the server. So if the date is in the not acceptable range, request can be discarded upfront.

Implementing the 48hrs rule on the server side restricts your Data implementation from being a general purpose database. Soon after the URLyBird accomodation system has been rolled other departments might use your Data class too. These departments (like billing) have to look at all bookings that have been done in the last 4 weeks. You will have to write a new Data class then, ignoring the 48hrs rule.

This is the reason I am going to implement it on the client side.

cheers
    martin

[ December 12, 2005: Message edited by: Martin Sturzenhecker ]
    [ December 12, 2005: Message edited by: Martin Sturzenhecker ]

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
      Bookmark Topic Watch Topic