• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Contact with Sun about Failing exam.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi all,

I'm having difficulty having an email conversation with the email address Sun provides for the SCJD.

See the email below.

I'm not sure what to do about this.

I got my grade: 310, 10 short on getting the certificate. In the report it says 10 points less on "General Considerations" and 80 less on "Locking". Ok, it doesn't lock enough, but it's still a lot of points considering the work in it. I think a percentage would be more elegant.

But then my problem, there's no reason given for the 10 points less on "General Considerations". If I could just have that one straightened, I would right away do the exam once more . But the communication with Sun is difficult. See my email to Sun below.

On this email I got no answer from Sun on the 10 points part. Just again, the same sentence " Major point loss on Locking". So I sent an email Again, stating the question again asking kindly if they could read the email again and give an answer on the "General Considerations" part. I didnt'get an email back. I sent an email again, I still don't get an answer back. This is taking three weeks now. I don't like this style, I don't like them not answering back. Problem is, I can only talk to their email address...........Some other people dealt with this problem? I allready read somewhere on this forum that actually a third party is grading the exam. Someone knows which company?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Aan: who2contact@sun.com
Onderwerp: SCJD - exam failed, I have a question
Headers: Alle headers weergeven

Goodmorning,

I just found out that I failed for the SCJD exam, that is all points (80) on Locking and 10 points on General Considerations.

For the Locking part there is a reason given; for the General Considerations there's no reason given why I have there -10 points.

I would be grateful to know, because for me it's easier and probably less risky (again a lot of money) to change the -10 points case on General Considerations, than to revise all of the locking part.

My details and exam details are copied below.

Thank you for considering,
Josine Wilms

CertManager
Data Access Service�

Test: Sun Certified Developer for the Java 2 Platform (310-027)
Grade: F
Score: 310
Comment: This report shows the total 1.4 SCJD points that could have been awarded in each section, and the actual number of points you were awarded. This is provided to give you per-section feedback on your strengths. The maximum possible score is 400; the minimum to pass is 320.

General Considerations (maximum = 100): 90
Documentation (maximum = 70): 70
O-O Design (maximum = 30): 30
GUI (maximum = 40): 40
Locking (maximum = 80): 0
Data store (maximum = 40): 40
Network server (maximum = 40): 40
Major point loss for record-locking mechanism, which is not according to spec. Your lock() method does notblock when trying to lock a locked record.

[ February 20, 2007: Message edited by: josine wilms ]
[ February 21, 2007: Message edited by: josine wilms ]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Sorry, I do not know how you can get any more out of Sun for this marking. If you read this recent topic you will see that Khalid had a similar experience. So I think you are going to have to "bite the bit" and prepare for the effort and cost of a resubmission.

Barry Gaunt
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Don't forget that it is acceptable for you to post your locking method (only) and use your fellow forum members as "consultants" to get you back on the right path.

josine wilms
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Barry,

Thanks for the reply. I'm sure an employer will be fine with: "got it almost" , "and here we've my 10 point short on getting the SCJD exam".

I'm not planning to spend the money on it when I get this kind (or none) replies.

Josine

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Josine, I think it is much easier to do some research and set up a simple locking system. If you run a search through this forum, and work a bit i'm sure you'll easily get the points you need to pass the exam.

I think its much easier to get 10 points in the locking system, rather than to earn full points in the general considerations.

Also, if the locking does not work, it seems that there has been some 'misconsideration' from your side, and maybe that is why they did not award you the other 10 points in General Considerations section.

If I were you, i'd set up a simple but decent locking system and off we go!

Good luck!

josine wilms
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Chris,

I think the same as you, it seems like that from their first answer, that because the locking wasn't good enough I ALSO got 10 points of for General Considerations. That's what they say anyway in the email.....

I don't hope so, I hope I will get a better explaining answer.

Josine
[ February 21, 2007: Message edited by: josine wilms ]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hello,

I would be grateful to know, because for me it's easier and probably less risky (again a lot of money) to change the -10 points case on General Considerations, than to revise all of the locking part.

In my case, I revised not only the locking, but all the other parts of the assignment even in parts where I got full mark and I checked everything.
One of the main advantages and maybe the most important of doing the developer
exam is to master dealing with threads and dealing with thread synchronization.

In my opinion getting a good score at the locking part like 80/80 is very crucial even if you passed the exam.

Another thing I want to tell you, failure maybe just the starting of point of success.And there is a famous saying : people who don't know failure,don't know success.

But regarding this exam, failure may mean more money and the resubmission fees are so high.

And since we are in the subject, why don't we suggest to Sun modify the resubmission costs and send a formal email to Sun in the name of all SCJD test takers.

josine wilms
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I've thoroughly tested my multithreading and....

WHAAAAAH

Got IT !!!

367/400.

Good luck to you all!!

josine wilms
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by josine wilms:
I've thoroughly tested my multithreading and....

WHAAAAAH

Got IT !!!

367/400.

Good luck to you all!!

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
congratulations! i guess you're so happy for you to have posted that twice

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
AWESOME!! Way to persevere!! CONGRATS!

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Congratulations Josine, it is very suspicious than you get nothing in lock, but luckly later you score was corrected. Again congratualtions.

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic