• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

SCJD aspirant - Need a guidance

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello all,

i hope you will take some time out to read this. Thank you.

I am SCJP 1.4 and currently trying my hands on SCWCD. Having said that, I am looking for job in Java technology in India. I found that they (companies) wanted developers in java and j2ee not just java so i went for SCWCD after SCJP and i realised that since i do not have experience in java i need to do a project based in java. I thougth SCJD would be the next good thing rather than SCBCD.

I have few questions if you don't mind answering...

1) Can i give SCJD in 1.4 platform.
2) Is head first by Kathy and et al the hot fav. here too? if not, which book to refer to?
3) Can i complete SCJD in 2 months? is it possible.
4) what is the most preferable way of preparing to pass SCJD with flying colors?

Please let me if there are better ideas than doing SCJD.

Thanks for your time and answer.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

1) Can i give SCJD in 1.4 platform.
2) Is head first by Kathy and et al the hot fav. here too? if not, which book to refer to?
3) Can i complete SCJD in 2 months? is it possible.
4) what is the most preferable way of preparing to pass SCJD with flying colors?

hi Atul.

1) No, I think not. But why should you? 1.5 and 1.6 does not contain that much more features, and as I believe you are thinking to do this exam because it looks good on your CV and because you want experience: don't you think that doing it in 1.4 could raise the impression that you are not bothering to be up to date with code?
2) I believe so, together with the book by Andrew Monkhouse and Terry Camerlengo.
3) Yes it is possible. But not if you have a job besides it.
4) read this forum a lot, I would say.

And as for your last question: do this exam if you want to get more experience, but probably don't do it just for the CV. There are more effecient ways to get fast certification. I think this certification is relatively much more time consuming than the others.

Best regards...

Ranch Hand
Android Eclipse IDE Suse
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Atul,

You can develop your assignment in 1.4 if you want. You just need to test it on the last released platform, at least this is what my instructions.html claims.

You may develop your code using any implementation of the Java 2 platform, but the submission that you return must have been tested and shown to work under a production (not development) version of the Sun Microsystems' Java 2 bla bla

However, Java 5 has many new nice features that 1.4 platform does not, like type checking on collections for example.

It's your choice.

Regards,

Romeo

[ May 25, 2007: Message edited by: Romeo Son ]
[ May 25, 2007: Message edited by: Romeo Son ]

Ranch Hand
IntelliJ IDE Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Atul,

I recommend you to use the new jdk, the reason is simple future future extensions, in this way you constrain your future extension on jdk 1.4 otherwise you risk more problems (e.g. mixing legacy code with generics).

Regards,
M

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi
One can't even use jdk 1.4 even if you wanted to. I believe the 18 months rule still applies unless SUN has changed that requirement. jdk 1.5 i guess is the safest way to go now.
Also dont do it like the way you did the SCJP. Seems to me like you just wanna have it on a CV and that's that. Like someone suggested, do it cause it would be fun and would want to learn more about java. I have had my assignment for 2yrs(primarily cause i cant find the time) and i intend to really take my time cause there are loads of things to learn like Design patterns, software package structures, justification of design issues, errors in specs. Loads of things. I suggest you take your time on this one. It is fun.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Saheed Adepoju:
Hi
One can't even use jdk 1.4 even if you wanted to. I believe the 18 months rule still applies unless SUN has changed that requirement. jdk 1.5 i guess is the safest way to go now.

Yes one can.

It says "You may develop your code using any implementation of the Java 2 platform"

The 18 months rule is only for testing.

You can code it and compile it on Java 1.4 and as long as it runs (which it should of course) on java 6 JVM then you're fine.

How do I know for 100%??
Because I did mine in 1.4 a few months ago and I passed...

Just state your java version in "version.txt"...

(I did it because I do my job in 1.4 so I wanted to do the SCJD in 1.4)...

Saheed Adepoju
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi
Thanks for the clarification. Now it makes sense to me now.

Atul Sawant
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks for your overwhelming response.

I have been to SCJP and SCWCD forum however i have never seen so much so involvement and responses for a rancher! Thanks a lot!

Dear Shaheed - This is true, I gave SCJP because i wanted to change my job and work in Java technology. I am currently working in tool which not many companies use and thats why i am worried about my future. Since i might not have choices when i want to shift. One of my office friend gave SCJP long time back (porbably a year ago) and he was able to get a job in java even after having irrelevant experience. I followed his footsteps and now i am getting lot of interview calls too also i am doing great on interviews but somehow they are not letting me in (maybe because of lack of experience and projects).

I really want to do a good project which looks promising on CV.

If SCJD will take lot of time how do i go about making a project? which book to refer to where i can get a good guidance? Any kind of comment is appreciable.

I really enjoyed doing SCJP and also enjoying SCWCD. Java is fun.

Thank you all again.
[ May 25, 2007: Message edited by: Atul Sawant ]

Saheed Adepoju
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi
What i would suggest is to get the book by Andrew Monkhouse and Terry Camerlengo. SCJD Exam with J2SE(second edition). It is a really good book, loads of interesting things. From initial analysis to final submission. Read these forum regularly...it is a very good one and has good and nice people to help you all the way. I just bought the book and i am about to restart the entire project from the beginning. Keep a clear mind and it would be ok. I have had the assignment for 2yrs and i am in no rush to submit it. I have gained alot of insight into the entire thing and i know it is fun from solving every piece of the puzzle. I would recommend you pay for the SCJD, buy the book above(one of the author is here in the Ranch so you can always ask him questions). Anyways, look forward to when you download the assignment.

Atul Sawant
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks a lot for you comments. I will definitely get the book you have recommended. I hope it will guide me well to do a project since i have never done a project alone. I did it once it my group of friends but i have very little contribution. Talk about passing time at college!

Let me know which other books and sources i should seek for.

This forum is quite nice like others. Even in SCWCD, we are like family. In my SCJP phase, there were so many guys but i remember Keith Lynn, he is terrific!

Wish me luck guys, i am quite nervous.

Thanks again!

Atul Sawant
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
hello all,

I wish to ask one question about the book recommended. I came to know the kathy Seirra book does not have swings/RMI and others i guess it only for the exam however for project, we need RMI, swings, JDBC stuff. right? So, does Andrew Monkhouse book teaches you that?

Kindly let me know.

Regards
Atul

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Atul Sawant:
hello all,

I wish to ask one question about the book recommended. I came to know the kathy Seirra book does not have swings/RMI and others i guess it only for the exam however for project, we need RMI, swings, JDBC stuff. right? So, does Andrew Monkhouse book teaches you that?

Kindly let me know.

Regards
Atul

JDBC you do not need to know because you cannot use it. You will have to know some I/O classes to be able to read and write to the file.

In my opinion, the book does not in detail teach you about these topics - you are expected to know how to learn about them - because you are a developer right? However, the book does give you ideas how to put your knowledge to use to construct an application similar in principle to an SCJD assignment.

It is a good book because it encourages you to think of various alternative ways of solving problems and motivates you to learn about the techniques available to a Java developer to construct the SCJD application.
[ May 28, 2007: Message edited by: Barry Gaunt ]

Atul Sawant
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks Barry!! This is exactly what i wanted to know!! Thanks guys. This was really a nice experience!

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic