• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

question on B&S Gui

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi all,

I am trying to understand the requirements of my assignment....still everything is so foggy to me.....I am trying hard to decode what the instructions are all about.Please help...

The interface says that we need a createRecord method? and deleteRecord method. But the requirements of the GUI user interface doesnt allow the user to do create or delete anything,....then what is the actual purpose of implementing these methods?

also gui just asks for implementing search all, search by criteria, and book a record with update appropiately. (So I can find that only read, lock, update, unlock, find methods are sufficient). Am I missing something...? Please help.

Thanks
Mary

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Mary,

You'll have to implement all of the methods defined in your provided interface regardless of whether your GUI will actually use them. The methods you listed in your last paragraph are the ones (at least in my project) that I used in my GUI, but it doesn't mean createRecord and deleteRecord shouldn't be implemented at least in the class implementing your interface. It's up to you if you want to implement them any further in any facade classes you might define.

Hope this helps

Mary John
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks Mike...

so that cleared out my doubts on it.....

thank you

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Mike, which field you update in your gui?

Thanks

Mike Ottinger
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Fei,

I was updating the owner field. The B&S app is supposed to allow customer reps to make reservations for a particular contractor. Each contractor record holds an owner field to hold the customer rep number.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Mike Ottinger:
Hi Fei,

I was updating the owner field. The B&S app is supposed to allow customer reps to make reservations for a particular contractor. Each contractor record holds an owner field to hold the customer rep number.

Don't you mean customer ID instead of customer rep number? Customer calls the customer rep, and the customer rep records the customer ID of the customer for a given record, indicating that the customer is holding the record. Do you have some textfield on your GUI allowing entry of customer ID before booking the record?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Aaron John:

Don't you mean customer ID instead of customer rep number? Customer calls the customer rep, and the customer rep records the customer ID of the customer for a given record, indicating that the customer is holding the record. Do you have some textfield on your GUI allowing entry of customer ID before booking the record?

Hi,

I interpreted it as being ID both from customers and CSR.. I just used "Customer ID" to identify it..

The id value (an 8 digit number) of the customer who has booked this. Note that for this application, you should assume that customers and CSRs know their customer ids. The system you are writing does not interact with these numbers, rather it simply records them. If this field is all blanks, the record is available for sale.

... provides this service over the phone using a team of customer service representatives (CSRs)

And I used a text field to let the user enter his ID (must be 8 digits).

Regards,
Alex
[ February 08, 2008: Message edited by: Alex Belisle Turcot ]

Mike Ottinger
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I think it's an issue of semantics, between customer rep number, versus customer id. I don't remember the instructions being too clear on the distinction. Regardless of which one you go with, it shouldn't affect your markings. I just happened to interpret it as customer rep number, but I can see how it would be the customer id.

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic