aspose file tools*
The moose likes Ranch Office and the fly likes Discussion of Naming Policy Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login
JavaRanch » Java Forums » This Site » Ranch Office
Bookmark "Discussion of Naming Policy" Watch "Discussion of Naming Policy" New topic
Author

Discussion of Naming Policy

Amit Ghorpade
Bartender

Amit Kumar Hcl wrote:

Amit Kumar is already is use by some member and I can not also have my display name as Amit Kumar316. What do I do?

You can use your middle name in that case

SCJP, SCWCD.
|Asking Good Questions|
Chris M. Lee
Greenhorn

It seems odd to require (or request) real names and then prevent collisions... what's the reason for that? There are other "Chris Lee"s in the world and we've all managed to cope so far...
paul wheaton
Trailboss

∞

I could create an account with your name and say things that are the opposite of what you say - just for giggles.

permaculture Wood Burning Stoves 2.0 - 4-DVD set
Babak Shimir
Greenhorn

@paul Wheaton

So? I mean, most people have a name that many other people have. You could allow a location identifier and or age.

In the end, since it will take any name, the names are meaningless. I would be perfectly happy if the site just made every message anonymous since making a judgement on what a person is saying based on who is saying it is flawed from the start.

The only real answer is a reputation system like Ebay. That way people who post accurate information get a reputation as such, and trolls who just steal a name and try to defame someone quickly fall to nothing.

Also, to the older comments about "professionalism".... I think the same point remains. The site is useful or not based on its content. If someone has trouble making use of a site because of the graphic at the top, or the offensive names of the users, then, isn't that, their damage? Why kowtow to other peoples small mindedness?

paul wheaton
Trailboss

∞

I would be perfectly happy if the site just made every message anonymous since making a judgement on what a person is saying based on who is saying it is flawed from the start.

I find that some people are exceptionally intelligent and damn good writers too boot. I'll seek out their comments. And there are others that seem to repeatedly say things that are of no interest to me: I find myself skipping their posts.

Therefore, I do not share your opinion about anonymity.

D Gale
Greenhorn

Guy Allard wrote: What if my name really was John Wayne?

Could someone answer this question?
D Gale
Greenhorn

If you want to be proffesional then take notes from http://stackoverflow.com/. The look and feel of the site is very important as well as other things besides display names.
Paul Clapham
Bartender

D Gale wrote:
Guy Allard wrote: What if my name really was John Wayne?

Could someone answer this question?

Tell us that when we challenge you and send us some credible evidence.
fred rosenberger
lowercase baba
Bartender

D Gale wrote:The look and feel of the site is very important as well as other things besides display names.
That is indeed true. However, each site's owner gets to decide what the correct balance for his or her own site. You have the option to a) agree with their choices and use the site, or b) disagree and not use the site.

There are only two hard things in computer science: cache invalidation, naming things, and off-by-one errors
paul wheaton
Trailboss

∞

fred rosenberger wrote: You have the option to a) agree with their choices and use the site, or b) disagree and not use the site.

Or c) understand the site and based on that make suggestions

Maneesh Godbole
Saloon Keeper

D Gale wrote:If you want to be proffesional then take notes from http://stackoverflow.com/.

I beg to differ on this. The navigation lines are not clear and the UI is not really intuitive. First thing which comes to one's mind is too much information. I would hardly call it a "professional" design.

[How to ask questions] [Donate a pint, save a life!] [Onff-turn it on!]
Greg Charles
Sheriff

Even John Wayne's real name wasn't John Wayne. (It was Marion Morrison.)

I like the policy of real names here, but then, I use my real name on every site where I'm active even if they don't require it. I like the idea that we're a community of people, not of handles and avatars. If you absolutely hate this idea, just create a reasonable pseudonym for yourself. You don't have to create something that is clearly meant just to flout the naming policy. Java Ranch gives you all sorts of opportunities to prove that you're clever, even if that particular one is blocked off to you.
William Brogden
Author and all-around good cowpoke
Rancher

If I was evaluating a new job applicant, I would do a search for his/her real name. Helpful posts on JavaRanch which are clearly written would count ++ in the evaluation. If the real name never showed up in any industry forum, counts ---.

Bill

Jeanne Boyarsky
author & internet detective
Marshal

William Brogden wrote:If I was evaluating a new job applicant, I would do a search for his/her real name. Helpful posts on JavaRanch which are clearly written would count ++ in the evaluation. If the real name never showed up in any industry forum, counts ---.

Bill

Or even well phrased questions.

[Blog] [JavaRanch FAQ] [How To Ask Questions The Smart Way] [Book Promos]
Blogging on Certs: SCEA Part 1, Part 2 & 3, Core Spring 3, OCAJP, OCPJP beta, TOGAF part 1 and part 2
Paweł Baczyński
Bartender

No joke names like "Adam Baum" (atom bomb) or "Justin Case" (just in case).

Funny thing. I do know a person with the last name Baum (although his first name is not Adam). Should he have a son and name him Adam, could the son register with the name "Adam Baum" ;)?
Also, if you didn't suggest it I would never associate "Adam Baum" with "atom bomb". Maybe because English is not my first language.

Formely Pawel Pawlowicz
fred rosenberger
lowercase baba
Bartender

yes, the son could register with the name Adam Baum, but would without a doubt be challenged by a moderator eventually.
Tony Docherty
Bartender

Funny thing. I do know a person with the last name Baum (although his first name is not Adam). Should he have a son and name him Adam, could the son register with the name "Adam Baum" ;)?

To put it simply:
If you have a name that happens to be the name of a famous person or it happens to mean something funny etc in English but it really is your name then you can use it as long as you are willing to provide evidence to show it really is your name.
John Wilson
Greenhorn

I tried to register with my real name, but even though my login name was unique, my registration was kicked back since my display name was already in use. Seems a small flaw in the system of using real names for anyone with a common name.
Bear Bibeault
Author and ninkuma
Marshal

That's deliberate as long ago we had problems with people duplicating someone's display name with deceptive and malicious intent.

Check your "Purple Mossages" for a message from me.

[Asking smart questions] [Bear's FrontMan] [About Bear] [Books by Bear]
Meruem Shikishi
Greenhorn

when I try to change my name to my actual name which is Mohamed Ahmed rather than Mohamedddd Ahmeddd i get the message saying the this name is already in use? therefore I can't change it which prevents me from posting topics

HELP
Paweł Baczyński
Bartender

Do you have a middle name?
You could use Mohamed B. Ahmed for example.
Or you can change your name to M. Ahmed.

You have your name changed anyway .
Henry Wong
author
Sheriff

Meruem Shikishi wrote:when I try to change my name to my actual name which is Mohamed Ahmed rather than Mohamedddd Ahmeddd i get the message saying the this name is already in use? therefore I can't change it which prevents me from posting topics

HELP

The current Mohamed Ahmed account was created over 11 years ago *and* never posted anything. Personally, I say, if you want that screen name, we can probably give it to you. Do you want it?

Henry

Books: Java Threads, 3rd Edition, Jini in a Nutshell, and Java Gems (contributor)

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.

subject: Discussion of Naming Policy