wood burning stoves*
The moose likes Meaningless Drivel and the fly likes Football 2010 Winner speculation Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Other » Meaningless Drivel
Bookmark "Football 2010 Winner speculation" Watch "Football 2010 Winner speculation" New topic
Author

Football 2010 Winner speculation

Rob Spoor
Sheriff

Chris Baron wrote:Spain has what Argentina was missing the most. A real team.

But that real team isn't giving them a lot of goals. 2 goals against Switzerland, 2 against Honduras, 1 against Portugal and 1 against Portugal. Villa has scored 5, Iniesta 1 and that's all. Argentina had scored 10 before the quarter finals. Germany have so far scored 13, and the scoring of both teams is more balanced. Shut down Villa and, especially with Torres' form right now, Spain's production will falter. Even if you exclude Muller's 4 goals Germany still have 4 goals more than Spain, and still more players scoring them.

I think that will finish off Spain - their lack of scoring. They get the chances, they just seem unable to get the goals.

SCJP 1.4 - SCJP 6 - SCWCD 5 - OCEEJBD 6
How To Ask Questions How To Answer Questions
Chris Baron
Ranch Hand

Sandeep Awasthi wrote:I think what Argentina missed the most is tactics.

No arms no cookies. No team no tactics. Brutally simple as that.
Chris Baron
Ranch Hand

Rob Prime wrote:
Chris Baron wrote:Spain has what Argentina was missing the most. A real team.

But that real team isn't giving them a lot of goals. 2 goals against Switzerland, 2 against Honduras, 1 against Portugal and 1 against Portugal. Villa has scored 5, Iniesta 1 and that's all. Argentina had scored 10 before the quarter finals. Germany have so far scored 13, and the scoring of both teams is more balanced. Shut down Villa and, especially with Torres' form right now, Spain's production will falter. Even if you exclude Muller's 4 goals Germany still have 4 goals more than Spain, and still more players scoring them.

I think that will finish off Spain - their lack of scoring. They get the chances, they just seem unable to get the goals.

But in end it's irrelevant if you win with 1 or 4 goals difference and maybe Spains just shows steely composure.
I only hope that our "offense is the best defense" style will bring more on the mental side than it takes from the endurance power.
Sandeep Awasthi
Ranch Hand

Chris Baron wrote:
No arms no cookies. No team no tactics. Brutally simple as that.

They had team spirit. I personally believe that lack of tactics was due to over confidence the way Maradona reacted to Schweinsteiger "if he is nervous" in war of words before match.
Anyway I do not have very deep knowledge on it, so may be what you said is correct.

Sandeep
Chris Baron
Ranch Hand

Ok, we are software developers. Lets compromise on the term Collection. Maradona had a collection of good players that has nerver been implemented in a concrete way
Pradeep bhatt
Ranch Hand

Chris Baron wrote:Ok, we are software developers. Lets compromise on the term Collection. Maradona had a collection of good players that has nerver been implemented in a concrete way

They were implemented but unordered.

Groovy
Chris Baron
Ranch Hand

Sandeep Awasthi
Ranch Hand

Rob Spoor
Sheriff

So Argentina is a HashMap and Germany is a TreeSet? Or more an ArrayList?
Vijitha Kumara
Bartender

Rob Prime wrote:...Germany is a TreeSet? Or more an ArrayList?

TreeSet, since every player is unique

SCJP 5 | SCWCD 5
[How to ask questions] [Twitter]
Sandeep Awasthi
Ranch Hand

Every coach should know Comparable, Comparator interfaces
Hussein Baghdadi
clojure forum advocate
Bartender

Germany players are weak references.
Sandeep Awasthi
Ranch Hand

I think it is opposite. German players are strong references and Argentinean players were weak references and they are collected by GC.
Hussein Baghdadi
clojure forum advocate
Bartender

Sandeep Awasthi wrote:I think it is opposite. German players are strong references and Argentinean players were weak references and they are collected by GC.

Dude I'm with "La Furia Roja".
Sandeep Awasthi
Ranch Hand

Oh, we were discussing Argentina/Germany.
Chris Baron
Ranch Hand

Just found this. I love the symmetry. Give up already infidels!

Christophe Verré
Sheriff

I think it is opposite. German players are strong references and Argentinean players were weak references and they are collected by GC.
No no, only French players can be collected. France is like GC, collecting garbage, too much garbage. This needs a lot of optimization.

[My Blog]
All roads lead to JavaRanch
Pradeep bhatt
Ranch Hand

Christophe Verré wrote:
No no, only French players can be collected. France is like GC, collecting garbage, too much garbage. This needs a lot of optimization.

They are phantom references.
Joe Harry
Ranch Hand

Hope Spain plays well against Germany.

SCJP 1.4, SCWCD 1.4 - Hints for you, Certified Scrum Master
Did a rm -R / to find out that I lost my entire Linux installation!
Jesper de Jong
Java Cowboy
Saloon Keeper

It's clear now that the Netherlands is going to win after beating Brazil!!

Java Beginners FAQ - JavaRanch SCJP FAQ - The Java Tutorial - Java SE 7 API documentation
Scala Notes - My blog about Scala
Christophe Verré
Sheriff

Yellow card to Jesper for trying to unfairly influence the audience.
Chris Baron
Ranch Hand

Jothi Shankar Kumar wrote:Hope Spain plays well against Germany.

Me too! If they do, it could be a match of centennial dimension. And i also hope that Germany is fit enough for Holland afterwards.
Vijitha Kumara
Bartender

Jothi Shankar Kumar wrote:Hope Spain plays well against Germany.

After watching the highlights of Spain/Paraguay game I doubt that they will but who knows it's really unpredictable this time around. But Germany looks very strong up to now.
Christophe Verré
Sheriff

Uruguay is getting so few attention. They still have players to catch balls on the goal line. Holland will need a lot of on target shoots to eliminate the remaining players from the field.
Chris Baron
Ranch Hand

Christophe Verré wrote:Uruguay is getting so few attention. They still have players to catch balls on the goal line. Holland will need a lot of on target shoots to eliminate the remaining players from the field.

Yes their 1/4 final against Ghana was no masterpiece but they have a very interesting defense tactic. One could call it aggressively defensive. The ball leading opponent is attacked immediately, even far beyound the center line. And if a attack makes it into their side everbody helps out. It's very effective and is evidence that they are working as a team.
Hussein Baghdadi
clojure forum advocate
Bartender

Jesper,
Will you run naked if Holland win the cup?
Paul Sturrock
Bartender

Christophe Verré wrote:Uruguay is getting so few attention. They still have players to catch balls on the goal line. Holland will need a lot of on target shoots to eliminate the remaining players from the field.

I've been carrying a grudge against the Uruguay football team since they cynically kicked and hacked Scotland out the tournament in 1986 (José Batista sent off after one minute of play for a vicious challange on Strachan. A nasty team). Anyone but them please.

After watching their player deliberatley handle the ball off the line I reckon once FIFA have introduced video technology for disputed goals they then need to institute penalty goals like they have in Rugby Union, i.e. if the ball is definately heading over the line when a player stops it illegally a goal should be given without needing to take a missable penalty kick.

JavaRanch FAQ HowToAskQuestionsOnJavaRanch
Christophe Verré
Sheriff

if the ball is definately heading over the line when a player stops it illegally a goal should be given without needing to take a misable penalty kick.

+1. This kind of play disgust me from soccer.
Rizvan Asgarov
Ranch Hand

John Todd wrote:Jesper,
Will you run naked if Holland win the cup?

Hey John, there is no need for doing that... It is a shame!
Jesper Young wrote:It's clear now...

Don't say "hopp" without jumping over the aryk!

"Half of the science is to ask question"
Peter Rooke
Ranch Hand

That German teams going to take some beating - from what I've seen of them the look like they are able to stop the better teams from playing (crowd them out - hassle them off the ball) and then find any weekness and exploit them (Upson!). Not always as pretty as the South America football (Brazil etc) - but its working..

Regards Pete
Joe Harry
Ranch Hand

The Spaniards are much better at defending than all the other teams that Germany played against.
Paul Clapham
Bartender

Paul Sturrock wrote:I reckon once FIFA have introduced video technology for disputed goals...

I don't see the need for that. Consider ice hockey -- it's a sport with fairly similar levels of scoring. And in ice hockey, you have a person whose sole job is to sit behind the goal and turn on a red light if the puck crosses the goal line. Sure the referee can override that, and in the NHL they do have video review of controversial goals, but on the other hand in football you don't have crowds of players trying to jam the ball into the net from short range. I think that just having a goal judge would take care of most of the bad calls.
Christophe Verré
Sheriff

Not always as pretty as the South America football (Brazil etc) - but its working..

I have a very different view from these teams I don't see pretty soccer there. I see a bunch of players spending their time falling and insulting the referee. What most teams do, but did you see how they behaved during their last game ? They should spend less energy on harassing the referee.
Christophe Verré
Sheriff

Paul Clapham wrote:
Paul Sturrock wrote:I reckon once FIFA have introduced video technology for disputed goals...

And in ice hockey, you have a person whose sole job is to sit behind the goal and turn on a red light if the puck crosses the goal line.

Who's blowing the horn ?
Aakash Goel
Ranch Hand

Me late to the discussion, but GERMANY is gonna win this one!

SCJP 5 95%
SCJP FAQ | SCJP Mock Tests | SCJP Tipline | Generics
Paul Sturrock
Bartender

Paul Clapham wrote:in football you don't have crowds of players trying to jam the ball into the net from short range.

You've never watched the Scottish Third Division have you?
Christophe Verré
Sheriff

Some corner kicks can get really crowded.
Joe Harry
Ranch Hand

Paul Clapham wrote:in football you don't have crowds of players trying to jam the ball into the net from short range.

Hope you did not mean the women in the pictures!
Rizvan Asgarov
Ranch Hand

All of them are men (males) which played in the football. So why you decided to post woman photos here?
Sulaiman Malik
Greenhorn

Germany

I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools

subject: Football 2010 Winner speculation