• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Cloning

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello,
I am not able to get the real essence of cloning an object ?
What is meant by deep copying and shallow copying
w.r.t. to cloning..
Can someone explain it to me, with an example..

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Angela
A shallow copy would be just copying the reference(s) of an object to another variable, so that both variables reference the same object.
In a deep copy you actually make copys of the object(s) and assign them to the variable.
For example: say you have two arrays of ints arr1 and arr2. In a shallow copy you would assign each index of arr2 to reference the same object as the cooresponding index in arr1. both would point to the same object.
In a deep copy you create new objects to be referenced by arr2 instead of just having them reference the same object.
Hope that helps
Dave

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Angela,
A deep copy is one that results in a totally separate object in memory that has the exact same state as the original. It kind of performs a 'new' function and populate the newer object with the state of the original. I can't give you a good example, because I don't know which class implements cloneable and performs a deep copy.
A shallow copy is one that results in some objects in memory being shared between the new and original objects. A good example of this would be the vector class.
<br /> When the above code is completed we have in memory:<br /> v1.1 --> 0
v1.2 --> 1
v1.3 --> 2
v1.4 --> 3
Now we can perform a cloning: v2 = v1.clone();
This results in the following (in memory):
v1.1 --> 0 <-- v2.1<br /> v1.2 --> 1 <-- v2.2<br /> v1.3 --> 2 <-- v2.3<br /> v1.4 --> 3 <-- v2.4
In this case, Integer is immutable so it won't be a big problem. But if the objects being referenced where not immutable, then if we change the state of v1.1 we would also be changing the state of v2.1!
Regards,
Manfred.

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic