• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

jdk1.5 found unsigned entry in resource

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Testing just now with webstart on windows with JDK version 1.5 I came across an error where webstart refused to launch my application claiming "found unsigned entry in resource". In other words, it claimed that my jar file was not properly signed. But the jar file IS properly signed, and worked fine with java 1.4.

A little research on forum.java.sun showed that others have had this problem and that the solution is simply to try again. After reloading the jnlp file three times, the problem went away.

I don't like the idea that my customers may have to do this. They would probably assume there was an error in our application, not an error in WebStart, and might not be willing to re-try three times.

Anyone else seen this problem?

Know any work-arounds? Maybe I need to use a jdk1.5 jarsigner rather than the jdk1.4 jarsigner?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hello Ed!

I have this problem as well with 1.5.0. I get the error the first time I try to start the app when it needs to download the jars - when I click the link again, it tries again and downloads it without complaining about anything.

I have yet to find a solution to this. I think it may be a bug that's been there since 1.4.2:
http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=4920115

.. but that one is closed, since it's a duplicate of this bug:
http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=4924188

.. which is missing.

Ed Ewing
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Here is another link at the sun site about this bug. It seems to have been around for a long time:

http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=212136&messageID=727737

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

I had this problem on 1.6. It happened consistently, even after several tries. Turns out the PC I was on had disabled Java caching.

To fix:

Open Java Control Panel (from the Windows Control Panel)
Under the General tab, click “Settings…” in Temporary Internet Files
Check the “Keep temporary files on my computer” checkbox

Greenhorn
IntelliJ IDE Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Somaiah is right. Disabling Java plugin caching is sometimes causing this error. I investigated this deeper and found the reason why it happens. Some antries in META-INF/MANIFEST.MF need to be removed to make the JAR working. Read my blogpost: http://blog.atlashost.eu/post/found-unsigned-entry-in-resource-java-web-start.html

It's sad that this bug remains for *years* there...

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Somaiah & Damian, I already have the "Keep temporary files on my computer" option checked and yet face the issue. Any other workaround? My application is slightly different though: it is a JavaFX 2.0 application signed using JavaFX's <fx:signjar> ant target. Any pointers would be highly appreciated!

Also, can we not run a JNLP app without signing it in the first place?

Thanks,
Ravi.

Sheriff
Netbeans IDE Oracle Firefox Browser
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi shrihari, and welcome to the Ranch!

I'm not sure whether Somaiah and Damian still visit this forum, as they both posted only once some time ago.

Other people here might still be able to help you, though. You should probably tell us what your problem is (the exact error message etc.). In any case, you can use
to see whether the file is correctly signed.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Martin,

I have a similar problem to shrihari. I'm building a JavaFX application with extensive reference to 3rd party libraries. I removed the signatures from all the files and then resigned using the option in Netbeans, under project properties.

I'm getting the security error as mentioned however.

error:

com.sun.deploy.net.JARSigningException: Found unsigned entry in resource: file:/C:/NetBeansProjects/Besieged/dist/Besieged.jar
at com.sun.javaws.security.SigningInfo.getCommonCodeSignersForJar(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.security.SigningInfo.check(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.security.JNLPSignedResourcesHelper.checkSignedResourcesHelper(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.security.JNLPSignedResourcesHelper.checkSignedResources(Unknown Source)
at sun.plugin2.applet.JNLP2Manager.prepareLaunchFile(Unknown Source)
at sun.plugin2.applet.JNLP2Manager.loadJarFiles(Unknown Source)
at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2Manager$AppletExecutionRunnable.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

I've checked using jarsigner -verify on the file in question, after I built the project.

The answer I get to that query is:

jar verified.
Warning:
This jar contains entries whose certificate chain is not validated.
(I also get a 6 month expiry warning, not sure that matters too much).

Also in windows control panel -> java control panel -> settings -> temporary internet files (as per suggestion above), the cache is switched on, eliminating one particular workaround.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I had the same problem while developing a JavaFX application and found that by clearing the "Temporary Internet Files" from the Java Control Panel, everything cleared up.

~~ Michael

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic