• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Web App on iPlanet Web Server & Oracle

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi All,
I have the following situation in development and am facing the problem mentioned here :
1. There is a Web Based Application developed in JSPs, Servlets and Beans (not Java Beans or EJBs but simple java classes used to access data from the DB and updating the same to the DB).
2. All the above mentioned sources run in an iPlanet Web Server 6.0 container.
3. The JSPs are used for Viewing, Adding, Editing data from an Oracle 8.x database on some other machine and this is done thru Beans (as mentioned above).
4. All the requests to the various JSPs are routed thru a RouterServlet which calls the appropriate JSP for the functionality.
5. This configuration works fine with some lesser number of users accessing the web site. But, when the Number of users accessing the system increases, the performance of the system reduces drastically. Thus the web page (JSP) being accessed takes around 500% more time than accessing it normally !
6. We have not been able to pin point the problem as yet, but think that the problem may actually be :

a. The "Web Server" not being able to serve multiple requests at a rapid pace.
b. The "Database" may not be able to perform fast fetches / updates to the data, being requested / updated by the Beans.

Has anyone faced similar situation earlier or could you suggest some solutuion for the same ?
Also, can anyone tell me about simulating the scenerio of a Web Browser accessing a JSP page, by using some simple java application / class.
Pls. let me know of any possible solutions !
Thanks in advance..... !
- Shailesh

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The performance issue may be related to database. Do you have a connection pool for the database base.

Jun Hong
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
By the way the performance of fetch could be improved by setting a larger fetch size. Also, the update can be batched. Anyway, this will affect the performance of each request.
[ January 25, 2002: Message edited by: Jun Hong ]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
is the routerServlet playing the role of a proxy and has the capability of load balancing?
check this out also, if you share your code it might be very helpfull ..
Tx

Your mind is under my control .... your will is now mine .... read this tiny ad
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic