• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

I/O Performance for Profiler

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi all,

I am working on a simple profiling tool where the goal is to have a minimal performance impact. As part of this I have thought a bit on the I/O issue, sicne such calls can easily decrease performance if handled incorrectly.

I am wondering if there is any performance difference in writing to the local file system, and writing to the network. The setup cost of creating a socket is pretty much irrelevant, sicne that will be a one-time cost, and it would be useful to be able to delegate most of the work to another computer on the network, especially since this will be used on test servers and controlled remotely as it is.

As a follow-up to that question, what are your thoughts on how much/often to write? Obviously one way saves CPU-time and the other way saves memory, but since I kinda have to save both I will have to find some optimal level inbetween.

The servers are running Windows Server 2003, which I reckon might matter in regards to filesystem used and all.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic