• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Math.sqrt() 1000x slower on Solaris than Win?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
We're tracking down a performance problem and it appears that Math.sqrt() is about one thousand times slower on Solaris than Windows. Test code and JVM versions are below. Anyone heard of this or know a good solution?

JVM on Windows is:
$ java -version
java version "1.5.0_10"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_10-b03)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_10-b03, mixed mode, sharing)

JVM on Solaris is:
$ java -version
java version "1.4.2_08"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.2_08-b03)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.2_08-b03, mixed mode)

Test code:
[ February 08, 2007: Message edited by: Bill Compton ]

Wanderer
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Interesting. Doesn't sound familiar. I don't have a Solaris box; a quick test on Windows indicates this isn't a difference between JDK 1.4 and JDK 1.5 - at least not on the Windows side. The sqrt is ultimately implemented in native code though, so implementations could be very different. The bug database didn't seem to have any good match to what you describe - though it may well be worth looking through more carefully than I did.

I'm not familiar with Solaris architecture, but on Windows the sqrt would probably be evaluated by a math coprocessor (if available), right? So this could be some hardware difference between the two machines. It might be useful to run some other math benchmarks on the two machines. Is the Solaris box always a thousand times slower doing math? Or is it just for sqrt()?

It might also be nice to hear if these results hold up on other Solaris boxes, maybe with other JDKs. Does anyone here have one handy? Please try it let us know how sqrt() performs.

One possible workaround is to replace Math.sqrt(a) with Math.exp(Math.log(a)/2). This would normally be slower and less accurate, but it sure shouldn't me a thousand times slower, so maybe it will help. Or if exp() and log() are similarly slow on the Solaris box, but basic math operators are not, you could also try your own implementation of Newton's method - I think that's (still?) the standard way to implement a sqrt() internally. Hmmm, maybe not - Wolfram lists a few alternates; I'm not sure offhand which is fastest or most accurate. But if the problem is just with the sqrt() function, then any of those methods might be worth a try.
[ February 08, 2007: Message edited by: Jim Yingst ]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I have a Solaris box running Solaris 7, and JDK 1.5.0_06. On my Windows box I have JDK 1.5.0_02.

I modified your code slightly to get an estimate on the amount of time it takes.

On the Windows box, it took approximately 2156 milliseconds, and on the Solaris box, it took approximately 11654 milliseconds. The machine itself is rather old and slow, and so some of the time that it took may have been due to that instead of the Math.sqrt.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Any chance of JVM optimization kicked in? The variable a is loop-invariant and thus b is too. Maybe Windows JVM does this and Solaris doesnt.

Originally posted by Bill Compton:
for(int i=0;i<iterations;i++)
{
double b;
b = Math.sqrt(a);
if ( b == 1.23455 )
{
System.out.println(b);
}
}
[ February 08, 2007: Message edited by: Bill Compton ][/QB]

Jim Yingst
Wanderer
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Interesting idea, Tim. To do that, HotSpot would also have to analyze the sqrt() code and determine that it had no side effects - and considering it's native code, it would be fairly difficult to implement something like that, I think. In any event, modifying the code to generate a different value of a on each iteration does not seem to have an appreciable affect on the running time on Windows. So it appears that this optimization is not occurring on Windows.

Hooplehead
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi,

Exactly what CPU are you running Solaris on?

I found this thread very facinating and when out on 'the google' and found this post: http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jspa?messageID=9384302&tstart=0#9384302

In a nut shell, the UltraSPARC T1 processor's FPU does *not* include a sqrt instruction. From the link: "computing a sqrt would take 25000 cycles...When executing a sqrt the programs traps into the kernel to emulate the instruction."

25000 cycles seems like alot and has that a couple orders of magnatude scale your problem has. Maybe this is the root (haha) of the problem?

Stu

Bill Compton
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hmmm... uname -a reports:
... sun4v sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-T200
Does that tell us what processor it is?

Ranch Hand
Scala Postgres Database Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I don't know, how similar solaris is to linux.
On Linux I do a
to get more information on my cpu.

The program needs 1.2 s for a=1024 on my 2.0 Ghz Centrino with linux by first invokation - 0.7 s when started multiple times.
But I don't have a parallel solaris-installation to compare.

But you could compare it to a c/c++ ad-hoc-translation:

compile:

On my system: first invocation: 2.0 s, multiple invocations: 0.9 s.
I don't like the speed of native code, but I would like to have those ...
cout << "Statements";
[ April 11, 2007: Message edited by: Stefan Wagner ]

Stu Thompson
Hooplehead
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Bill Compton:
Hmmm... uname -a reports:
... sun4v sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-T200
Does that tell us what processor it is?

I think this is the problem!

Wikipedia has a decent breakdown of Sun Fire servers...and from The Register, it seems that T200 was the initial name for what is now the T2000.

The Sun Fire T2000 has an UltraSPARC T-series CPU. (This chip is also known as Niagra and is notable for having multiple cores running multiple threads.)

If you google 'niagra fpu' you will see many results regarding floating point performance issues.
[ April 11, 2007: Message edited by: Stu Thompson ]

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
sqrt() is much more processor intensive than raising a number to a power. Try to square all your data so you can get rid of the need for sqrt(). All 3D game engines do this to help increase performance.

Brief example, if you are trying to find the distance between two points:
distance = sqrt( Math.pow(x2 - x2, 2) + Math.pow(y2-y1, 2) );
Get rid of the sqrt() by squaring distance.

Unless, of course, you need it to be the square root.

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic